Saturday, November 24, 2007

Diary of a Utah Fan-Deja Vu

Last year I was sitting on my couch and watched the improbable touchdown that BYU had to win the game with no time left. This year, I was in Pittsburgh listening to it on the internet and was pretty much discouraged by the way the offense played the entire game. When the Utes went ahead 10-9, I was hopeful but thought, "There is too much time left." Sure enough. BYU drove 88 yards thanks to 30 yards of penalties and 49 yards on a 4th and 18 play. How do you give up 49 yards on 4th and 18?

Slightly different path, but the same result. A BYU win with hardly any time left on the clock. The game was a mini-season. Alternating between stellar defensive play, inept offense, big plays given up by the defense, enough offense to keep us in the game, but not enough defense when it was most needed.

At least I can say, wait until next year.

No comments: