Sunday, November 18, 2007

Beware shopping with Hattie!

If you ever take Hattie shopping, be sure to watch what goes through the register! Twice this week she has slipped things by me and I have bought stuff I didn't intend to. I didn't see the cashier ring it up because I'm sure I was distracted by trying to chase her through the checkout.

On Wednesday, I took her Christmas shopping. I bought tons of stuff and in particular two of the same thing (so they won't fight) for Grace and Hattie for Christmas. It wasn't anything too expensive, but when I got home to show David all the stuff, I found I had THREE of them in my shopping bag. Hattie apparently liked it and grabbed one off the shelf and threw an extra in my cart. Since toys r us is 35 minutes away, I won't be returning it... maybe it will fill a sub-for-santa request...

Then, last night, I took the girls to the grocery store to pick up about 4 things. I told them if they were good they could get a treat on the way out. Hattie goes nuts over M&Ms (she calls them num nums - well, any candy is a num num.) She saw a BIG bag of those pink cancer-support m&m's and grabbed it. How do you tell a 1 year old that they can't have pink m&m's? Well, the "cancer" m's were a bit more expensive, but whatever, it's for a good cause, so I let her put them on the conveyor belt. Grace chose a pack of gum and I thought I was good. When they told me the total, I thought it sounded a bit expensive - knowing the simple few things I bought, but Shaw's grocery is a rip-off, so I just chalked it up to them. I got home and looked at the receipt and I was charged for TWO bags of the expensive m&m's. I was so mad that the cashier had charged me for 2 bags. THEN, I went to put my things away and saw, yes, an EXTRA bag of m&m's in the grocery bag. HATTIE!!!! She totally put an extra bag up on the counter when I wasn't looking.

So, check your receipt twice before leaving the store with Hattie! I wish I could say I will do that, but it is all I can do to get the bags AND Hattie out of the store and into the car. I'll just make a little pile of my extras and give them away as gifts. Aren't you excited to see what I give you for your birthday next year? :-)

No comments: