Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas Dresses and Little Girls

...don't always mix. Some little girls LOVE to get all dressed up like a princess. Not my royalty. They think that fancy dresses are itchy and get in the way. Sorry mom, Harriet will NOT wear the little sleeve gloves you made to match the dress, so I took the pictures without them. I hope she'll wear them when we have to leave the house so she's not cold. She wouldn't wear a bow either. She doesn't understand bribery yet. Grace does, thus the bow in her hair.

I decided that I don't have it in me this year to go to some picture place, drive 30 minutes each way, wait in the waiting room until dresses and hair and nerves are shot and then come away with 2 poses that I half like and had to pay a fortune for. So, I took my own terrible pictures for free! (after all, we have a really nice camera now - no excuses not to use it.) Nerves still frazzled, hair still not too good, but dresses survived the ordeal.

Harriet was NOT happy about any part of the picture taking. I had to give her the favorite baby doll just to get her to sit down by her sister. No, she's not holding a baby we haven't announced! Just a doll that's almost as big as she is.

These are the final results. Please make honest comments. Tell me if I need a do-over. Do I need to dress them up again tomorrow and try again? I'm pretty happy with Grace's close up. I don't like any of them together - lots are cute, but not what I was after and none are "good" photos. I came up with nothing from Harriet, but I doctored up what I could. Would you want a glossy 8x10 of these at your house?

I'm just putting the two that I doctored and like best on the blog. Look at the flickr page for all the miserable shots...

Taking pictures of kids is a good way to put the scrooge back into Christmas! I'll try to get over it and decorate the tree this weekend.

addendum: David came home and thought Hattie needed a better photo, so we put her dress back on and took 20 more shots. Here's the winner:

3 comments:

Holly said...

Michelle, I agree, pictures are the most stressful event!! But your girls look adorable and their dresses are darling!

Jennie Z said...

Beautiful dresses for beautiful girls! I think Graces's is gorgeous. Harriets is cute, but I'd try to get her looking at the camera. (Easier said than done!) It is so hard when they are little, but then you get to capture them in action!
We are trying to do ours this weekend and all I am hoping for is that my kids will just sit still, but if I'm lucky they might crack a smile.

Chrispy Critter said...

Beautiful girls, just like there beautiful momma!