Thursday, November 04, 2010

Gratitude Journal #4

I need to come up with a different way to title these posts - so boring.   But, for today, I am thankful for fall leaves.  Which is to say, I am thankful for fall leaves that don't fall in my yard!!  I have occasion to drive over the Rio Grande river several times a week.  It is a little more than 10 minutes away from my house.  It is also the only spot in Albuquerque that is covered in deciduous trees, mostly Cottonwoods.  Right now, the Cottonwoods are a deliciously warm golden color, made even warmer by the Albuquerque sun shining on them.  I seem to keep finding myself without my camera when I'm driving over the Bosque.  Anyway, these fall trees are gorgeous.  And, the best part?  They aren't in my yard!!!

I do miss the beauty of New England, but it was such a love/hate relationship with those leaves.  I always felt that Fall was highly over-rated.  Last year, I raked 6 wheel-barrowfuls of leaves just from my driveway, every week.  By the time the season was over, I know we were around the 100 mark for bags and wheelbarrows of leaves raked from the yard.  Then, in the spring, we did about 30 more from the leaves that fell after the snow came.  I tried to count one time, how many trees were in our yard.  I lost track in the 60's and most were at least 50 feet tall - FULL of leaves!
just as the leaves were turning last year
a "few" trees
Now, I can enjoy my leaves, and NOT rake them too!  Ok, today, I did a little raking since the wind has blown neighbor leaves on over - just for something to do out into the sunshine.  I think the whole yard took me about 8 minutes.  Perfection!
the ONLY tree in our yard (and no, it hasn't changed color yet)

"before" - sure, I could have waited for the afternoon ABQ breeze to take care of this
"after" - do you see the tiny little pile of leaves over there?  that's it!

1 comment:

Annelie said...

You crack me up!