Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hello, could I have some Lyme with that please?

Oh, and don't forget the double serving of ticks!


On Friday, we got some semi-bad news. Velvet had an annual check-up with the vet and despite vaccines and Front-line she tested positive for Lyme disease. This really is a problem in the northeast. Ticks are so prevalent that it is almost impossible to go outside and not come back with a tick or two. We had been pretty lucky the first 2 years here, but our luck ran out. Now the vet tells us the vaccine is only 85%. They really ought to have that on the box!

Now that we have a Lyme case in the house, I have affectionately changed Velvet's name to Lymey. She doesn't seem to know that I have changed her name. She doesn't come when called by that name and she certainly doesn't seem to care for it. She also doesn't care for the anti-biotics she is on for the next month, but I don't know why she complains. I'm the one having to stick my hand down her throat to get her to swallow the pills.

No comments: