Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hattie's first pony ride

(photo by Grace!)

Harriet has come to the barn a bunch of times with me and Grace, but haven't gotten around to getting her to sit on the horse, nor has Grace been much interested in sharing her pony. Monday was a glorious weather day here - mid-80's and beautiful. I took the opportunity to take Grace to the barn for a ride. She really doesn't get to do it much now that I leave both kids home with David when I go to the barn to work.

We made the trek out to the back field to round up Tink and then back to the barn to groom and tack and then out to the arena to ride. Harriet was comfy in my backpack carrier and Grace and Tink, well behaved. Grace rode by herself for a little while (no one leading her) and then decided she was tired and done. I asked if she thought Harriet could ride. She said "well, I AM her big sister, so I guess I should teach her how to ride." So ON went Harriet.

Grace totally took over from there. I barely caught Harriet's leg to keep her in the saddle as Grace grabbed Tink's reins and took off with the both of them. Grace led Harriet around the ring for quite an adventurous ride - around the corners, over poles, a little too fast - almost trotting! Hattie wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but anything to do with sunshine and fresh air and animals is just fine with her. She was thrilled with the ride.

I really can't believe that Grace shared so well, but it's probably mostly to do with the fact that she got to be in charge of the situation. So, now, I have 2 barn rats (brats?) Whatever, as long as they like coming with me and riding, it's great! I never want to force my kids to ride and come to the barn just so I can do it, but it will make things really nice for me if they all do like to do it so that we can go together and all be happy at the same place.

Ride 'em Hattie!

No comments: