Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dear Harriet

Dear Harriet,

I wanted to write you a brief note on your first birthday to let you know how much I love you. You have brought a sweet spirit into our home and in a short year have transformed my life so that I can't imagine life without you anymore.

Our relationship started out a little rocky. Unlike Grace, you didn't take to me right away. You loved your Mother and that was about it, and of course she should be your number one person. She helped you through reflux, constipation, and saw you do a number of "firsts". You dreaded (as did I), those long Saturday afternoons when I had to take care of you while your Mother was working. While those days were difficult and I struggled with my new daughter, my love never wavered. I was (and am) proud to be your father and help and watch you grow.

While it took you a while to get the swing of this strange person that you generally only saw for an hour a day, you now love me and are excited to see me. I cherish the few minutes I get with you in the mornings on occasion before I head off to work. As you hear me coming up the stairs from showering, I hear you get excited with your "da da" and the occasional clap of your hands. It was those few cherished moments that sustained during the several months where during the rest of the day you only wanted mommy. Now, you also want to come to me. I come home from work and you are generally the first person I see now. The immediate beaming smile and recognition and love shown as I walk through the door make me forgot the struggles and hardships of having a rambunctious and curious 1 year old in the house.

You are a very curious child. You love to explore and you especially love to test things in the oral laboratory. With Grace everything was a novelty, and now with you we get to experience that all over again. It is amazing how similar and yet dissimilar you are with your sister. You are your own person and yet I see the longing in your eyes to be just like Grace, to play with her, to mimic her. Stay patient. Your time will come. Grace is already growing up too quickly and I fear you are as well. I love your curiosity and intensity. Whether playing peek-a-boo through the peek-a-boo, or holding you upside down and having you do flips (which you absolutely love) I enjoy the limited time I get to spend with you.

As you get older, I'm sure that I will become an even stronger influence in your life. I can't wait to take you on bike rides, hikes, walks to get ice cream, having you help me with the dogs (sorry but you only get to help with Shadow--Velvet is spoken for), and other fun things we will be able to enjoy together.

While you won't be able to remember any of the events of your first birthday, the rest of will. I know I speak for everyone in the house when I say, "We love you." You are my precious little girl and always will be. I have been so blessed with two beautiful daughters. I don't know what I have done to deserve to be your father, but I am thankful for that opportunity and hope that you feel the same way.

On your first birthday, may you have a great day and may you continue to grow. May your curiosity stay with you and your love of the world around you. As you get to experience so many things for the first time, may you realize how special that is and may you never take for granted all of the wonderful blessings you have been granted.

Love,

Daddy

No comments: