Happiness is the object and design of our existence.
-- Joseph Smith, Jr.

I finally finished watching the PBS documentary "The Mormons". I had set the DVR to record it knowing that I was going to be watching Jazz game and that I would probably want to review it down the road.
Overall, I thought that it was excellent. Not perfect, but still good enough to portray us Mormons as normal people with a strong sense of self, family, and community. People with large dreams that often are not met, but who honestly strive to love God and love their neighbors. I thought that the coverage was fair even though it spent too much time on the Mountain Meadows massacre and polygamy, and not enough time on the hardships faced by Joseph Smith and not enough time on the incredible journey west, colonization of the mountain west (Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, California, and Utah) and the stunning transformation of the Great Basin.
While I wished it had spent more time on Joseph Smith, I though the content was good. Joseph Smith was an interesting character, and as with most interesting characters he had his flaws. To me it gives me comfort that God does not need perfect individuals for His work. Perhaps even an average man like myself has hope of one day becoming perfected.
I was touched in the second hour by the struggles that individuals go through both in and out of the church. We are a people that should be happy. We are people that should treat those around us with Christ-like love. We are people that should explore our history, know our history, and cherish our history (as complex and interesting as it is). We are a people that should strive to make the world a better place by 1) improving ourselves, and 2) helping those around us.
I was particularly impressed by the black women who converted despite the crazy story of a white boy, a dead angel, and gold plates. I'm glad that they showed the gospel singing in sacrament meeting (especially instead of the dull boring meeting that is mostly is). I was saddened by those who felt ostracized and despite disagreements longed to have a part of the church back in their lives.
I was also disappointed by the churches stand against the ERA, our treatment of blacks for so many years (my largest struggle with the church), and was disappointed by Elder Oaks and Elder Packer. Elder Oaks claiming that criticism of the general authorities is out of line even if justified and true. What would Joseph say about that? I firmly believe in B.H. Roberts statement that not only is this the church of Jesus Christ, but it is also the Church of Latter Day Saints. We have a stake, an interest, and if our leaders should be respected, but should not be put behind glass to admire only yet not be able to interact with. Blind obedience is not a good thing (e.g. "If my mission president told me to blow myself up, I would do it."). We as a people are told to seek knowledge for ourselves and despite the authoratarian structure of our church we should still be able to study things out for ourselves and come to conclusions.
I was also impressed with comments of Harold Bloom and Richard Mouw. They both clearly disagreed with tenets of Mormonism, and yet they could recognize a strength and a goodness despite their doctrinal misgivings. That in the end was hopefully the take home message for those who watched it. Yes, we are a peculiar people, we have our quirks, but we strive as a people to live the commandments and to make our enviroments worthy of Christ. I hope this dispelled many stereotypes and myths and will give people a better insight in the lives of their Mormon neighbors, co-workers, and friends.
I'll end with some of Joseph's word from different discourses.
If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out: I have no doubt of the truth.
Although I do wrong, I do not the wrongs that I am charged with doing; the wrong that I do is through the frailty of human nature, like other men. No man lives without fault.
Never be discouraged. If I were sunk in the lowest pits of Nova Scotia, with the Rocky Mountains piled on me, I would hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I would come out on top.
We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons.
-- Joseph Smith, Jr.

No comments:
Post a Comment