Yes! It's summer! Ok, I know I've made a record of my mixed feelings about summer in New England. The sushine is great, I'm fine with shedding my 20 layers of clothes I wear just to be inside, but it also brings out TOO MANY LEAVES ON TOO MANY TREES, and TOO MANY BUGS flying about in those trees. We've been literally eaten alive this week. We started out the week not being able to go out after 4pm, then it moved to noon, and then at 10:45 on Friday, Grace and I both had 2 mosquito bites after being in the yard only 30 minutes. We gave up. I'm grateful for my cute picture windows so that I can look out at the beautiful outside since I can't go out in it. Forget taking a baby out. You can't put enough bug spray on a baby to keep these mosquitos away!
Hooray for Daddy. He rescued us today by spraying the entire perimeter of the house, porches, deck, garden, and play areas with garlic. The bugs have bugged out. MUCH better now.
Grace and I have made a focused effort to be outside during Hattie's naps. Grace is enjoying:
*riding her new (bought from a consignment shop) spiderman scooter
*riding her trike
*watering her herb garden
*bird watching cardinals, blue jays, robins, finches, swan, ducks, and geese
(hung up new bird feeders, but the birds haven't noticed them yet)
*listening to the peeper frogs as she goes to sleep (who sadly quit peeping this week!)
*chatting over the fence with the neighbors any chance she gets - she can often be heard shouting "Jeanne, Jeanne, Jeanne!!!" while running towards the fence-
*walking to the mailbox
*going on long walks with her dad to Crow Island when I'm gone
*driving with her window down in the car (and the sunroof open)
*going to Erikson's Dairy for any reason on any day
Harriet, when awake, is enjoying
*her dogs
*crawling from room to room
*climbing up on anything that she can hook her little leg up to
*sitting on short stools
*laughing at Grace
*bird watching
*going for stroller rides
*eating ALL BY HERSELF - preferably with a utensil if she can grab one
(she freaks out if you try to feed her and she likes to take things off your plate - tonight she drank my whole margarita and screamed if I tried to get a sip!)
I am enjoying spending every day with the girls. I may not be 100% happy 100% of the day (ok, sometimes, 5% is all I can ask for), but a bad day at home is better than any whole day away from them at work. I'm starting to realize how much I missed by working when Grace was tiny. Just the other day, they were playing with the shoes in Hattie's "closet" and having the best time putting them on each other's feet while I was putting laundry away in Hattie's drawers. Another treasured moment was on Thursday when we couldn't take the hot day and drove over to Erikson's Dairy for a quick spot of ice cream. We ordered a cup of black raspberry and a soft serve twist. We took them in the back where there are picnic tables in the shade and Hattie sat in the middle of the picnic table and took bites out of both bowls as Grace and I spooned up the yummy stuff. I love little times like that with them.
Ok, if you didn't know that you can click on a picture in a blog to enlarge it, you'll have to try it with this one. See if you can see what's in it!
(hint - it's one of our furry family members chasing something in a wet spot of our yard)

No comments:
Post a Comment