Saturday, May 05, 2007

mommy's travel diary continued...

We are just having a blast in SLC. Although the weather pretty much sucks, we are trying our best to have fun inside. Since Aunt Jess went to Vegas for the week-end, we inherited the use of her "monster truck" for the week-end. Tooling around in a jacked up black truck has been pretty cool. (probably looks a little silly to have 2 carseats in the extend cab, but my nickname in college WAS "truck-chick"...) It's a little hard to drive since it's so big and also a stick. I haven't driven a stick since I sold my truck 3+ years ago. I'm an old fogey who just likes a nice automatic now. Finally, today, I got good enough at it again to talk on my cell phone and shift at the same time!

Yesterday, Grace and Emily and I went to see Spiderman 3 while Aunt Lis tended Hattie. I know- the movie is a little much for a 4 year old. I justified it because she has seen the first 2 and watches them all the time with her dad. Emily asked her which movie she wanted to see and Spidey the 3rd was her choice. It was definitely a little more scary and dark in nature than the first 2. I hid her eyes a couple of times, but she still liked it and was glad to get to go to the movie theater with us. I haven't been anywhere with just Gracie for quite a while, so it was a treat to get to go out with her and spend some time with her, undistracted by Hattie. I was stoked to get to go to a cool movie on opening day (can't remember the last time that happened!) The only downside is that we went without Daddy. I know he would have like to have gone with us. Maybe we can take him when we get home...

Today, we went to lunch and shopping. We left Grandma Debbie home with Sean and Hattie (thanks for taking one for the team, Mom.) For lunch, we went to an old favorite, The Jasmine, for lunch with Aunt Melissa and Aunt Christine. Lunch was tasty and the company was great! We get very lonely for someone to go to lunch with in Massachusetts, so we do lots of lunches when we are here. As for shopping later in the day... Grace needs summer clothes and the next size (when does that stop?) She and I have had many words over choosing clothes in the mornings. I am so tired of having that conflict that I let her pick out a bunch of tops and bottoms at the store that all go together. My fantasy is that (weather permitting), she can go to her closet and choose any top and any bottom herself and they will be perfect together and will be good for any activity we choose to do that day. I know it won't work out just that way, but I do hope to avoid at least half of the clothes war that we are fighting. She does have a few really nice outfits from Aunt Em that she can wear to go on an outing or to go somewhere nice, but for the average summer day of playing at home, she can choose what she wants.

Now, we are hoping for the nice weather that is in the forecast for next week so we can go outside and play. We hope to visit the zoo, go horsey riding, and play in Lissie's new backyard before we have to go home.

Again... photos to follow???

No comments: