Sunday, May 06, 2007

Diary of a (Tired) Jazz fan

First, it is tough being a Jazz fan on the east coast. Invariable I have stayed up late to watch the games and half the time I was in a good mood and half the time I was upset going to bed at the AM early morning hours. Last night was a microcosm of the events of the series over a two week time span. I was already tired from waking up at 5 AM to hike Monadnock. Then the game didn't start until after 9:30. No matter. I wasn't about to go to sleep and miss a potentially huge game 7. In the past the Jazz haven't faired so well in game 7. On the road they have never won. Of course all of that is meaningless to this team. They had played decently in every game in Houston and had a chance each time. But couldn't get over the hump.

However, last night they did it. They finally won a road playoff game. I almost didn't think that they were going to pull it off, but when it mattered most, the Jazz took control and fought to victory. The Jazz started off strong and opened up a 16 point lead. They let the lead slip to 4 before getting it to 10 for halftime. During the third it ebbed and flowed, but the Jazz were able to hold them off each time that Houston made a run.

The fourth quarter made me nervous however. The Rockets quickly evaporated the lead the Jazz had and with 6 minutes left had a 5 point lead. I was about to write the off with Kirilenko made a huge 3 pointer and the Jazz were taking control.

It would have been a big disappointment had they not made it out of the first round. I feel bad for Houston, but Utah was the better team. I hope we don't play them next year in the playoffs though because I'm sick of hearing how McGrady is 0-6 now in the playoffs.

Bring on Golden State and let's hope the Jazz make the conference finals.

No comments: