We spent 2 hours in the Logan airport after Hattie missed her nap, then an hour flight to JFK, then an ugly 2 hours at that airport and then a wonderfully quiet nice ride to SLC. The kids slept on that last flight and it was a GIFT!
I must be some kind of insane person, because on Monday morning, I put them in the car and drove 4 hours south to Cedar City to visit my grandparents. I haven't been to Cedar since Labor Day of 2004 when I ended up getting hit by a red-light runner on my way into town (at the only light between the freeway and my grandparent's house) and nearly totaled my new Pathfinder. The reasons for not going back since don't have anything to do with superstition, mostly moving to the East coast, but it was good to go back and have an un-eventful, safe, non-insurance involved trip.

I have really missed going to Cedar. We use to go at least a few times a year. I love driving through Utah. Living in Massachusetts, I very much miss the wide open spaces of driving through the desert. I have really missed my grandparents too. They were a big part of my life growing up and it has been hard not seeing them since I moved. My grandpa had never met Harriet, so this trip was especially important. (We tried, unsuccessfully, to go in January, but weather and illness prevented the trip.)
(Hattie with Grandma Primmer)
(Hattie with Grandma Primmer)So, we spent 2 days in Cedar City. Grace had a ball with my grandparents, and surprisingly, both kids warmed up to the new surroundings and faces very quickly. Hattie was great - took her naps and was good on our shopping outing too. Whenever I travel or visit with my family, our favorite things to do are to go out shopping in funny little places and hang out and talk. We did lots of both.
(side note - I have this really great picture of Hattie with her great-grandpa. This was the first time that she got to meet him. For some reason, I can't get the blogger site to load that picture. I have tried more than a dozen times... photo to follow if I ever get it loaded...)
This morning, we drove "home" from Cedar City. Again, a really nice drive through the vast expanse of the Utah desert and both kids were stellar. They were actually pretty fun in the car. I really can't believe that they've been such sturdy travelers as we have flown 2500 miles and driven 500 miles in the last 4 days.
To top off the day, we returned home for a second birthday celebration for Harriet. This time, she got to celebrate with most of her Aunts and her Grandparents and other set of Great-Grandparents. My sisters totally took over the party planning and did an incredible job (translation: totally overboard) on the decorations, cake, food, and gifts. Hattie got some more fun books, darling clothes, some stuffed animals, a baby doll, and some dough for her savings account. My kids are really really lucky to have such a number of people around them who care about them so much. The only thing missing from the party was DADDY!
We do miss David and Shadow and Velvet. We are sad that they couldn't drive through Utah with us and have a birthday party with us today.
PS - PHOTOS TO FOLLOW!!! After a frustrating episode where my entire memory stick was erased by my parents' computer, I eventually recovered the files with some software only to have blogger be too busy to load them.

2 comments:
seriously, I'm trying to get the photos on! I got two and I can't get any more to load...
It was still fun reading about the trip even if there were no pictures. They're lucky to be able to spend some time with their great-grandparents. I never knew mine.
Post a Comment