
Well it has taken some time to post this, but the honeymoon is over with my new macbook that I bought in July. What started out as an innocent experiment turned into a trip to the Apple Store in Burlington. I guess that I really should blame this on Windows and not my Mac since I was installing boot camp at the time of disaster.
Long story short, I had a blank cdr in the optical drive and rebooted my machine after getting it ready for a windows install. When the computer restarted all I got was the blank grey screen as my computer tried to boot off the cd. Of course I knew all the keyboard shortcuts to get the cd out and nothing worked. I scoured the internet and found a couple of other things and nothing worked. Finally I resorted to calling Apple support. After 20 minutes I got someone who told me to try everything I already had. I knew I was in trouble when he said, "It looks like this is a hardware issue that will have to be resolved by an Apple technician."
Oh great, 5 PM on a Saturday with no hope of help until Monday. All to get a simple cd out of a drive. Being the impatient type, Monday was no good. I called the Apple Store and they had a "Genius" appointment for 9:15 that night. So, later that night, I did the 35 minute drive into Burlington hoping to get it resolved.
Unfortunately, the "Genius" bar was unable to solve the problem that night and it was looking bleak. They were going to have keep the laptop overnight and possible until Monday. All to get a cd out I thought to myself. Crazy!!
Luckily, while at church on Sunday I got the phone call saying everything was taken care of and the laptop was good to go. So of course with my ox in the mire, I made the trip to Burlington (after church was over of course) and got my laptop and headed home.
Luckily I didn't lose any data and I won't be rebooting with cds in the drive anytime soon, but at least it did make me resolved to back up important data which is now done on a nightly basis.
The honeymoon may be over, but I wouldn't trade my mac for any old pc. Down with the evil empire and up with Max OSX!

No comments:
Post a Comment