Sunday, November 26, 2006

The beautiful New England fall


Well after suffering through a miserable autumn last year, this year has lived up to the typical New England fall billing. The hurricane season has been practicall non-existent so we haven't had to deal with much rain and the weather has just been perfect for both fall colors and to still get outside and have some fun.


For the last 3 months, I have been in charge of Grace and Hattie on Saturday afternoons while Michelle has been busy working. It started out with Harriet crying and screaming for most of the time and trips half way through to get to the barn so that Michelle could feed Harriet while Grace and I just wished for some peace and quiet. Now Harriet no longer requires nourishment straight from the source (although still her favorite) and she is much more content with Dad and big sister Grace.

Her progression and the weather have really allowed us to have some fun over the last few Saturdays. We took our first bike trailer ride, we have raked and played in leaves, and we have just had fun without having to listen to the crys and screams of a 6-7 month old. All of this has added up to me now looking forward to Saturday afternoons with my girls. Yesterday we all got comfy and watched some football (should be read as, took a nice nap on the couch together). Grace and I used to do this all the time when she was Hattie's age. Grace even helps me fix things around the house and watched over Hattie while we get little projects done. I think she has gotten a Bob the Builder bug in her and she wants to use hammers and screwdrivers to build and fix things. Better than dolls, right?


Anyway, here is hoping to a mild winter and some outdoor fun. Oh and by the way, the leaves may be beautiful up on the trees, but the curse of New England autumns, the dirty little secret, the skeleton in the closet, is that those leaves fall off and must be raked. I have raked and raked and raked some more and it never ends. If I have to rake one more leaf this fall I might just go insane.

No comments: