Sunday, November 26, 2006

This one is for Jared


Well while I am in a blogging mood I better finally get this one done. I was suppose to do it 3 months ago when in Utah, but for some reason it never happened. I have promised Jared I would get to it and now I finally have.


One of the highlights of our vacation to Utah in August was the chance I had to go camping in the Uintas. The Uinta mountains are one of my favorite places. The desolation, the solitude, the communion that takes place is divine as I find myself in one of the last refuges from roads, cell phones, and the hustle and bustle of life.


Jared graciously invited me to go camping and we had a great time. We did a little geocaching, we fjord the river, we hiked, we played horse shoes, and we had a great time.


Jared posted about our trip a while ago and talked about his victory over me in horseshoes. All I can say is that Jared has some black magic voodoo curse on me. It started back in 7th grade during shasta day competitions. Coach Ranck at Bonneville would have basketball camp and once a week we would have Shasta Day where the winners of certain events would get a nice cool drink. One of the competitions involved one-on-one play. The guards would play against each other and the big men would play against each other. Then the winner of the guards and the winner of the big men would play each other for all the Shastas in the cooler. I can remember playing Jared at least twice in this competition and both times I lost. It wasn't his size on me, or his better basketball skills, it was the black magic voodoo curse that he was hexing me with. This has continued to this day whether it is a game of horse, fantansy sports, or horseshoes out camping. Jared has the magical ability to pull out a victory even when he looks desperate.

While I did lose to him 4 out of 4 while camping, I think that the curse is finally showing signs of weakening. I beat him in fantasy basketball a couple of weeks ago (the battle of the cellar dwellars) and I think he will be in trouble if we meet in the fantansy football playoffs. Horseshoes anyone?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beware the black voodoo magic (and a slight talent discrepancy - ha, ha)! That was a fun jaunt down memory lane.