Yesterday we went back to visit friends in the 'hood where we lived for six years. Despite the reputation that South Salt Lake has, we lived on a great peacful, friendly road. During our time there we made some good friends and really enjoyed the sense of community and friendship that we had with others on Leslie Avenue.
On Saturday as we drove up to the Golden Spike we passed through Willard and I asked my mother if she ever got nostalgic as she grew up in Willard, Utah. She said no, not really and I was a little surprised by that. I know that I get nostalgic. I really miss living on Leslie and being a member of the Southgate ward. We made some good friends and had many good times.
As we walked into the church building Sunday morning I immediately felt at home. Many, many people came up to us and asked if we had moved back. They were hoping that we were back, but unfortunately it was just a visit. It was very enjoyable talking with old friends and catching up with others. It was almost as if we had never left. Michelle and I both miss that ward. While our ward in Massachusetts is full of genuinely nice people, Michelle and I feel that something is missing. As we drove away from the Southgate ward, Michelle nailed it on the head. The difference between the two wards is the sense of fellowship and community. In the Southgate ward people struggle-temporally and spiritually and recognize the need to share the burden with one another. It is that sense of need of others that may be lacking in Massachusetts. While that may be due to the difference is socio-economic status between the two wards, it is something that we miss. Both feeling needed and needing others.
While we often refered to our six years in the Southgate ward as a mission, we do miss it and would return in a heartbeat if possible.
Thanks to all of our friends who made our return an enjoyable time.
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment