Thursday, February 02, 2006

No photos, please...

Thankfully, we didn't document this part of our trip with a photo. Apparently, I have made a habit out of checking myself into the hospital when I travel. 2 trips ago, I thought I had a blood clot in my leg from flying, so I went to the emergency room in the middle of the night for an ultrasound. It turned out to be just a really bad broken blood vessel that had gotten all knotted up, but it did happen on the plane. Now, I'm paranoid about it when I fly. This trip, I ended up checking myself into the Labor and Delivery unit of the hospital. After being in Utah for about 8 days, I started getting very tired - more than normal and my pulse just kept going up. After 3 days of it with a pulse of 133 and a very limited ability to breathe, I called several health-care people for advice. They all told me to go straight to the hospital, which I did. I spent most of a day hooked up to the monitors and getting blood work done. It turns out, I had some sort of altitude sickness as well as anemia. After living at sea level for almost a year, I've apparently got fewer red blood cells than I need to supply me and a second person inside with oxygen. After being on bed-rest and an iron treatment for the week-end, I started to feel better. However, I'm still on "watch." I followed up with my doctor when I got back to Massachusetts and they are putting me on a lay-low system for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can go back to normal soon and that I can keep working at the barn a little longer. But, I'll do whatever it takes to avoid having a preemie in the NICU. I stink at being pregnant! I'm just glad that I got to do most of what I wanted on my trip before it all happened because the rest of the trip was pretty low-key...

No comments: