Monday, October 24, 2005

Gracie's first ER visit...

I wasn't too sure that we should make this post. Normally you should make record of the first word, step, day of school, etc. David wanted to, so I guess I will do it. Well, you never want to go to the ER with your kid, but most people end up there at some point. We ended up there last night. I was at a fireside, Grace was staying home with her daddy because she had a bad cold. I got a message during the fireside after hearing the phone ring in the church hallway to "call David on his cell phone." I didn't think too much of it - maybe he had to take her to the doctor for her cold? That would be weird, but maybe? Then I couldn't get a phone signal in the church, so another member of our ward walked outside with me and we both kept trying until he finally got David on the phone. The signal was so patchy, all I heard was "Grace", "boiling water", and "ambulance." I officially started freaking out. Brother Gentile was extremely nice and offered to drive me to the hospital and help David give her a blessing. It turns out, that Grace had been helping David in the kitchen and grabbed a pot off of the stove to hang up on the rack. (She loves to hang up the pots after we do dishes.) She didn't know it had boiling ramen noodles in it. David half-caught her and at least knocked the pot out of the way of her face. They called 911 and rode in the ambulance to the hospital. She ended up with many 2nd degree burns and maybe one 3rd degree burn on her arm and small burn on her chest. She is supposed to heal well and she's been an awesome patient. She is now over her cold (in miraculous time) so she can just focus on getting her arm better. She was very happy to get bandaged last night and says "my arm ok" and "it feel better now." She was also very proud of her bracelet with her name and age on it. We are so lucky to have so many people around here who have offered to help us and who have checked up on us. It's rough to have something like this happen when you don't have family around, but we have unbelievable friends and they have all been in contact many times today asking what they can do. There really isn't much to do now except keep Grace's arm covered and clean for a couple of weeks, but it's nice to know that we have people we can ask if we need help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How Scary!!! I hope little Gracie is doing ok. I can't imagine how awful that must have been.

Anonymous said...

Grace, sorry to hear about your arm, etc. Hope you feel better real soon.