
We've lived here for 7 months and have never been to Boston other than to go to the airport and to a Red Sox game. Having company who wants to sight see has finally gotten us out of the house and downtown. Today, we rode the subway into town and went on a "duck boat" tour of the city. The duck boats are World War II amphibious vehicles. Some are replicas and some never went to war, but the one we rode in was a 63 year old tried and true war vehicle. It had been in the invasions of Sicily and Italy and a few other places in Europe. The driver drove us all over downtown Boston and pointed out all of the major sights and then took us right into the Charles river to see some more. Grace got to drive the "duck" in the river and was way excited
about that. We feel better that we've finally seen some of the important places from the settling of our country and the start of the Revolutionary war (seeing as we live here and all!) We saw the Old North Church steeple (where the 2 lantern signal was hung - one if by land, two if by sea), Bunker Hill, and the areas first settled in Boston to name just a few. We even drove by the bar that the show "Cheers" was based on. We also spent some time in Lexington and Concord yesterday learning about the battles there and the people who lived there. I have never had a good U.S. history class in my school life, so it's really good for me to learn about it and even better to learn right on the spot where things happened. I feel very un-educated at times when things are new to me that should not be new at all. I guess I'm in a great spot to catch up on my American history. I don't have any excuses anymore, that's for sure.
After the tour, we spent some time today at the aquarium downtown. Their big tank is really amazing as are their small exhibits. Of course, Grace loved it as she loves anything to do with creature life. I loved it too. It reminded me that I used to really love studying biology. I forget about my biology background and training and when I see something like the aquarium it brings back all of my college courses and subjects that I really used to think about a lot.
about that. We feel better that we've finally seen some of the important places from the settling of our country and the start of the Revolutionary war (seeing as we live here and all!) We saw the Old North Church steeple (where the 2 lantern signal was hung - one if by land, two if by sea), Bunker Hill, and the areas first settled in Boston to name just a few. We even drove by the bar that the show "Cheers" was based on. We also spent some time in Lexington and Concord yesterday learning about the battles there and the people who lived there. I have never had a good U.S. history class in my school life, so it's really good for me to learn about it and even better to learn right on the spot where things happened. I feel very un-educated at times when things are new to me that should not be new at all. I guess I'm in a great spot to catch up on my American history. I don't have any excuses anymore, that's for sure.
After the tour, we spent some time today at the aquarium downtown. Their big tank is really amazing as are their small exhibits. Of course, Grace loved it as she loves anything to do with creature life. I loved it too. It reminded me that I used to really love studying biology. I forget about my biology background and training and when I see something like the aquarium it brings back all of my college courses and subjects that I really used to think about a lot.

2 comments:
Sounds like you had fun. And I agree. Understanding your history is important.
I hope you showed your parents Fenway Park. Everything thing else around there is ok, but....
Post a Comment