Thursday, March 05, 2009

Happy 6th Birthday Grace!

I did this last year and I think it makes a good tradition. So, Gracie, here's your birthday letter.
Dear Grace,
I love you and I hope you have a super happy birthday today.

I know that you are excited to celebrate your birthday with your Aunt Em, who flew out from SLC to see you. I know you can't wait to go to school with your birthday girl t-shirt on and open your birthday book with your class. I can't wait to come and read it to your class and see you at school on your birthday. I know you can't wait to go out to dinner with your daddy tonight and open your presents. And, I know that you are anxiously looking forward to your birthday party with your friends on Saturday.

In 6 years, you have become one of my very best friends. I can tell that you are starting to think that your mommy isn't as cool as your other friends are, but I am so glad that you still do things with me. I wish we could do more things together. I know that adding Harriet to our family has made it harder for us to be best buds, but I hope that she becomes your best bud someday too.

I love that:
you love school
you love PE at school
you check out a library book every week and read it cover to cover
you can read a chapter book cover to cover and know practically every word
you do math problems all day long for fun
you do your homework the day that you get it
you are getting lots better at saying your "k's and g's"
you make up jokes that don't make any sense, but still think they're funny
you love your friends, most of them boys
you are thriving in your karate class and getting out your strong energy
you love stuffed animals and name them all (boys' names) and think that they are characters in your own story
you are better than me at guitar hero and mario kart on the wii
you never do your hair and love having it long at the same time
you wear blue, head to toe, every day
you are not a morning person, like me (can we convince Hattie not to get up at 6:30 so we can get some sleep?)
you want to do everything with your daddy
you love nature and take your time to notice everything outside - sunsets, stars, constellations, weather, birds, plants, patterns, and everything beautiful
you hand-write long, nice notes to anyone you can think of
you make posters, signs, pictures, and notes for your dogs, and hang them above their doggie beds to tell them how much you love them
you always think of Hattie or me or Daddy when you have something that can be shared and you share it (or you get an "extra one" for everyone when you get something for yourself.)
you grow like a baby giraffe and your arms and legs get longer every day
you always give me a kindergarten smooch before you leave for school
you wish that kindergarten lasted all day
you love winter and snow and hate it when I complain about being cold
you still wear your 2007 4th of July t-shirt proudly and can't wait to for the 4th of July every year (we'll get you a new t-shirt this year)
you love to wear your University of Utah sweatshirt on the weekends like your daddy
you are your own little person and you don't let anyone else tell you how you should be

Happy 6th Birthday Grace! I can't wait for you to wake up this morning so I can read this to you. I can't wait for you to see all your presents and have a fun day all day long.

I love you.
Mommy

2 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

can't believe she's six. happy birthday, gracie (even though she probably doesn't remember me).

Barnhisel Blog said...

Happy Birthday stinker #2. We love you!! Aunt Lis