
We survived it. 8 six year olds at our house for Grace's birthday party yesterday. I know, I'm a big wimp. Some people have 8 kids at their house all the time. But, I have to say, I am just not used to it! Especially the boys - they have so much energy and take so much energy, I am completely worn out.
(this was nice for the 3 minutes it lasted...the craft as they walked in the door...)
Grace wanted to have a Kung Fu Panda party. She's been planning it for months. I made her a Kung Fu Panda cake and wrote her name in Chinese (well, at least I think I did - if you can read Chinese characters, maybe you will know if I succeded! I did my best with google - I should have consulted Wendy who actually speaks Chinese.)

She played Pin the Tail on the Panda with a totally awesome poster that Aunt Emmie made for her. They also did musical pillows (instead of chairs) to Kung Fu Fighting music and karate kicked a "Master Tigress" pinata. Grace served her favorite Chinese food for lunch - Teriyaki chicken sticks with sticky rice. They ate with chopsticks too.

It was really quite the party. Poor Hattie just got lost in the mix. We kept forgetting about her because she was so quiet and scared of everyone. She was found sitting on the couch holding her "tail" for pin the tail on the panda long after the game was over - she never got a turn and never asked for one...
We aren't into the "invite the whole class and everyone you know", so Grace just invited her best buds from town over - most from her kindergarten class. They brought her some cool presents, including a lot of Pokemon stuff and other things that her mom knows knothing about.

I'm so glad that Grace had a great time. She loved every minute of it, and only had maybe one moment of being a pouty party pooper. (She was upset that I wouldn't let her be the declared winner of the games when she won - one fairly, and one a little cheatingly.) I let her friends have prizes instead. I mean, come on, she had already stashed identical prizes for herself BEFORE the party to be sure she got what she wanted!
All I know is that Grace is one kid who loves having a birthday party. They all do, I'm sure, but she gets so into every detail and is so thrilled with every tiny thing from having balloons, to the right color candles, to the right things in the goodie bags. She's already planning her theme for her 7th birthday! I have a friend who did themed birthday parties for all her kids and now, even as grown adults, they still ask her for themed parties. I wonder how long Grace will keep doing it? I'm happy to do it as long as she wants it. Besides the exhaustion and confusion during the party, it is really fun to do for someone who really appreciates it!
2 comments:
Holy cow sister- that looks like the coolest party ever. I can't believe you made that cake. You put my motherhood skills to shame. Grace and Hattie are so lucky to have such a talented, creative mommy.
Lis
very cool cake!
Post a Comment