After 40 years of routine jet service across this great country of ours you would think that air travel would have gotten faster. I am reminded by the movie "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" that flight really has not gotten any faster over the years. Yesterday I flew from Manchester, NH to Salt Lake City, UT. A mere 2100 miles or so via the air. It took the entire day. I left at 9:40 to go the airport to catch a flight that left at 12:05. A 2 hour flight + a 2.5 hour layover in Detroit and another 4 hour flight to SLC. So it took me 10 hours of traveling to go 2100 miles. I really shouldn't complain (think of the poor folk in the 19th century). I am just saying that I think it is ridiculous that we are still limited to ~500 mph in the air. You would think that we would have routine commercial super-sonic jets (too bad the Concorde never caught on) to take us across the country.At least I was able to treat myself onc
e I got to SLC. I dragged my mother with me to Sconecutter for some monster spicy fries, a turkey avocado sandwich, a cinnamon and honey-butter scone and of course some famous raspberry lemonade. With the exception of the raspberry lemonade the food wasn't particularly good, but is was nostalgic. I used to hang out there all the time in high school. It was popular with my friends because 1) it was open late, 2) it was cheap, and 3) it was never busy. I still wonder how they make money being open 24/7. I then returned to my parent's house for a nice hour in the hot tub. That hit the spot after so many hours on the plane. Of course you can't tell I'm a New Englander now, can you? The first flight I couldn't move because I had a very squeaky seat and the second flight I not only had to deal with turbulance but someone's flatulence. Where's the gas mask when you need it!

It is fun to be here in SLC, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. This trip is mostly business with some pleasure on the side.

No comments:
Post a Comment