Sunday, October 15, 2006

I don't want to be bribed!


...says Grace. Sunday mornings are my new hard challenge of the week. They've never been my favorite, but now that I have 2 girls plus myself to get ready, it's more than a bit stressful. I have totally given up on getting Grace to do her hair. We have had so many terrible fights over her hair, I decided it just wasn't worth the family contention to ask her about it anymore. (She will do it for dance on Wednesdays which is just great with me - she is surprisingly agreeable about putting in a ballet bun, but THAT'S IT!)

Anyway, this morning I wanted to get a picture of the kids in their cute orange outfits, so I decided to press my luck and see if I could bribe Grace to do her hair. I asked her if I could give her something and in return get her goldilocks in a ponytail. She refused outright. I gave up quickly and decided to turn to the photo - only a few minutes left before church... She would NOT sit on the couch with her sister to have her picture taken. Again, I tried to bribe her and she yelled "I DON'T WANT TO BE BRIBED!"
I asked her if she'd rather be punished for not doing what I asked and she said yes, only that didn't work either - she didn't care about any of it.

Grace comes from a long line of stubborn folks on both sides of the family and I'm afraid the trait has concentrated itself in her and she will win if tested. Few have the stamina to beat her in a battle of stubborness.

So much for bribery. David and I can't figure it out - we'll stoop to it. A favorite story in David's family is that he gave up sucking his thumb at the age of 5 for 25 cents. Not so with the Gracers - she drives a hard bargain, which is to say that she doesn't bargain. At least she has her integrity...

I did get a couple of photos - they're not great, but you can see my little "punkins."

No comments: