The 90's were the last years I really "let my hair down." The week of Halloween, some friends of ours hosted a 90's retro alternative music dance party. (Can you hear David groaning?) Dance and fun are not synonymous for him. He can tell you about the last time we went dancing together. It was nearly relationship-ending. We were engaged. It was the NBA finals. There was a Jazz game that night. He was in a dance club in downtown Salt Lake with me instead. Fill in the blanks.
It's cool, he's not a dancer. I got over it. Just like he is mostly over it that I am not a cyclist. (right? right?)
Well, he was a trooper and knew that I could not resist going to this party, especially considering I had newish cherry red doc martens in my closet from our trip to Seattle last year. So, he ponied up and put on his best 90's outfit - sweater vest with plaid shirt tied around the waist. SO sterling scholar style ;)
I, unfortunately, JUST got rid of my last good flannel shirt from the 90's, so I had to head to the second hand store to find one for the occasion. Everything else was still firmly in place in my closet. Man, it's been a long time since I wore a baggy concert t-shirt as the main part of my outfit. I was most pleased by how long it took me to get ready to go out - 5 whole minutes, most of which were spent lacing up my boots. I miss those days!
Bottom line - we let loose and danced and moshed the entire night. It was so awesome. But, I think I may have passed the age threshold for those kinds of things being acceptable, or recommended. What's the line from Singles? "Somewhere around 23, bizarre becomes... immature." I was completely exhausted after moshing to just one Nirvana song. I barely made it to the end of Smells Like Teen Spirit. The next day, my whole body hurt SO bad. I could barely move. Don't worry kids, your mom won't embarrass you by ever doing that again. The dance floor is all yours from now on. I'll come chaperone your high school dances, but I won't try to bust any moves.
1 year ago

1 comment:
Wow. For a minute there, I thought that was a really old picture of you two. Guess you haven't aged much! That's pretty rad. :)
Post a Comment