Tuesday, November 27, 2012

more fall school stuff 2012

These posts are so out of order, but I keep finding pics and little moments that I want to be sure to include in my book (whenever I actually decide to sit down and make another one.)  Plus, the grandparents always appreciate bragging about the grandkids.

This one just makes me so happy.  Grace has the best teacher this year.  He does the most amazing things with the kids.  One random day he decided to have the kids build drinking straw rockets and measure how far they went based on angle of launch and fin design.  I was there to take pics because, well, I sometimes spend so much time at school I have considered having my mail delivered there.    
setting up to launch

(you can see the tail of Grace's rocket on the far right side)

And, Miss Hattie Marie was chosen as student of the month for September.  They have a new deal this year where they give the award for a specific area of citizenship.  She got it for being trustworthy.

Taking on supporting the kids at school has become what feels like a full time job for me.  (Not really, but it's several hours a week.)  Even though they do have great teachers and wonderful staff, there is so much to be done to support the teachers, make sure that the kids are getting what they need, and keep track of the curriculum.  I could probably sit back and do nothing and my kids would get a similar education, since they are largely self-sufficient students.  But I like knowing what they are doing and who the kids are in their classes.  Frankly, I like seeing them during the day too.  I also hope that if I can take a tiny chunk of work off of a teacher's plate that they can take that space and use it to improve what they do, help one extra student that day, or even just have a little less stress in their life so that they are then a better teacher.  I know that when I was teaching, if I could leave a half hour earlier than planned because I didn't have to finish some menial task,  I would be a much happier person.  

Still, I leave the school, grateful every time, that I am not a teacher anymore.  I love getting to dabble in it, use some of my old skillzz, and be connected to the school, without having that huge amount of stress and responsibility hanging over my head.  Thank heavens for all the people who are willing to do that job.  I'm happy being the pit crew.

No comments: