A little full, lot of sap...
The best part about the day after Thanksgiving is not all of the leftovers or great deals at stores, it is simply being able to begin thinking about Christmas and decorating the house. It seems as if every year, the stores start promoting
Christmas earlier and earlier. I remember walking into Costco the week after labor day this year and already seeing Christmas items. I thought to myself, "Unbelievable."Growing up, we always had an artificial tree that we put up and decorated the day after Thanksgiving. As I got older I became the setup and light man as my dad had lost all desire (or maybe just patience) after having done this ritual for so many years. Even after being married, I would still help my Mom out because I knew how much my Dad loathed the Christmas tree lights. Michelle and I always have had a small artificial tree because we have never had a place large enough for a big tree. This year we decided to do a real tree since we have a little more space and we both enjoy the natural pine smell. So after Michelle had spent all morning shopping (and spent all her money), we loaded up the family and drove to pick out the Chapman Family Christmas tree. While quite a few people around here like to cut their own tree, I saw no need to trudge through the cold with a 2 year old in tow. So we went to the local nursery, Stow Gardens, and picked out a perfect little tree.
As I hoisted the tree up on top of the car I couldn't help but think of Clark Griswald and hope that I was going to make it home without incident. Long story short, we got home with the tree intact and decorated it last night (little toy train included). Grace is so much fun this year as she is to the point where she understands what is going on. She was excited to help decorate the tree and now can't wait to give her presents we bought to people. I just hope that she keeps Michelle's present a secret. I have given her proper anti-revealing training, but she will probably be under heavy interrogation. Hopefully my techniques will keep the secret safe.

No comments:
Post a Comment