Sunday, November 20, 2005





Hiking the Whites

Yesterday I went on my first hike in the White Mountains up in New Hampshire. Hiking is something that I was really into in high school and my early twenties. I would occasionally go on small hikes with the young men back in South Salt Lake, but I haven't done any major hiking in a few years. It was nice to get out again.

The Lincoln Lab Outing Group (I hope their aren't any closets :-P) made their first hike of the season yesterday. Our fearless leader believes a hike is only worth it with snow, ice, wind and single digit or negative temperature. We chose Mount Carrigain for our hike. It is the 14th highest peak in New England and one of 48 peaks over 4000 feet. Coming from Utah, the height doesn't mean anything as I have done over a dozen 13,000 feet peaks. However, it was still a lot of fun. After many years, my equipment was still working well, the spirit was more than willing, but the flesh was a little weak. By the time we got home I could barely walk. My left knee with tendonitis was flaring up, both my legs were extremely sore from all the stepping motion, and I tweaked my right ankle and knee.

Once home, a nice hot bath and some Ben-Gay sure helped. I may not be 20 anymore, but with a little help the body will be back for the next hike in a couple of weeks. Some might say I am crazy to drive 7 hours (roundtrip), hike 7 hours in the cold and snow, and beat my body up for a mere 4700 feet tall mountain that wasn't even above the treeline, but all I can say is I did it "Because it is there."

No comments: