Friday, March 06, 2015

Dear Grace, on your 12th

Well, my dear, there is a reason there is a giant gap in the blog from October to March.  It is at least 50% because I can't keep up with you, let alone my blog.  I do hope to catch up someday.  Some great things have happened this school year.  But today, I get to write my birthday letter to you.  I hope you read this some day, many years from now, with a wry smile on your face.

Sometimes, I feel like you are driving a fast speedboat, and I am a waterskier behind you.  Only, I lost my water skis about a mile back, and you still haven't noticed, and have your foot, full throttle, on the gas pedal.  You don't do it out of disrespect.  You do it because that's what you do.  This is one of your amazing qualities.  You see what you want and go for it.  You might glance sideways to notice the consequences, but they usually don't hinder you from doing anything.  I seriously can't imagine how much this will help you achieve something huge some day.

This year, you have added orchestra, playing the cello in first chair, to your daily doings.  (Of course you're first chair, you would be hard pressed to be anything else.)  You were the only beginning orchestra student to be invited on the elementary school field trips to play a solo.  You've tried out for basketball, and (sadly for you, thankfully for me,) you didn't make the team.  I didn't know how we would possibly add anything else to the holiday season.  I think it's the only thing this year that hasn't turned out perfectly for you.  Now you've got me worried about the same thing for spring.  We're on day 2 of track tryouts, and even though you know that it will wreck your week to add another 12 hours to your schedule, you are undeterred.  You love running.  You think you're pretty fast.  And, you would like to play a sport.  So, today, I rescheduled your birthday party (the celebration of Global Grace Day) so that you could finish track tryouts tomorrow!

Aunt Melissa is getting a little tired of all of your accomplishments.  (wink, wink)  It gets pretty hard for us ordinary people to keep watching you excel at EVERYTHING.  Your report cards:  straight A+ grades (even the people at Krispy Kreme are crushed with their own mediocrity when they see your grades as you bring them in for your free donuts every term.  One donut per A.  You always get a half dozen.)  You WON the school geography bee, even though you are only a 6th grader.  Then, your written exam was accepted to the STATE geography bee?! You don't even like social studies!  Your guitar playing:  seriously awesome when practicing is at a minimum and outstanding when you put your mind to it.  I love that you play hard rock and jam to your heart's content.  Your karate:  you're within spitting distance of your green belt.  Your goal of earning it today, on your birthday, fell just shy because of, well, everything else you're doing.  I'm so proud of you for sticking with that since kindergarten!  and always keeping your black belt goal in mind.   Dad sheepishly admitted last weekend that you just might be a better skier than he is.  Shh.. don't tell him I told you he said that.  You bombed down all the black diamond runs like they were no big deal and rode every lift on the mountain.  You skied way more of the mountain than any of the rest of us and came back with your (rather toothless) instructor, with a huge grin on your face.

You never get cold, and when you do, you don't admit it.  You still refuse to do anything with your long silky golden hair, except trim your bangs once a month and maybe run a brush through it at the end of the day.  I thought that might change when you hit middle school, but it hasn't yet.  That's cool.  Everyone loves you for who you are and no one cares who you aren't.  You are totally turning into a teenager.  Your room is a "nest" of sorts.  I constantly fight the urge to clean it super sparkly because I know you like your nest.  I'm waiting for the day you paint it black, and hang band posters, but thrilled you still like your green and purple room with horses all over it.  We did notice, on our ski trip last weekend, how much of it you spent with headphones in your ears, drowning out the rest of us.  That's cool, because you still let me (and want me) to come to the bus stop with you every morning.  I'm grateful you do.  I kind of can't believe you aren't embarrassed to have the only mom at the middle school bus stop and even let me kiss you and hug you before getting on and always turn around just before getting on the bus to wave one more time.  This might have to do with the fact that you still sleep with about a dozen favorite stuffed animals and a certain blanket.  You are literally caught right in the middle.  A true tween.

I love that you admit when you are wrong (most of the time.)  You really do try hard to be a good big sister to Harriet.  You are usually pretty humble when someone points out a mistake you've made and even get pretty upset that you made it.  You are usually the first to make an adjustment to make someone else's day easier or happier.
I am so extremely proud of you that you have finished your Faith in God program booklet for primary.  You are the first I know of to finish it in our ward since we moved in.  You aren't as outwardly dedicated to church as Harriet is, but I know you are on the inside.  It is so cool to see you graduate from Primary.  I know you are so ready for Young Women's and the new things you will do there and the new friends you will find.  I can't believe I'll be sending you to girls' camp this year!

I love that I can trust you.  I hope it always stays that way, even if you've done something terrible.  I hope you'll always know that you can tell me and it will be better than if you didn't.

I had no idea what to get you for your birthday this year (besides your dream guitar - an Epiphone Explorer GT - which I couldn't find.)  You had been asking for a hot wheels race track.  So, I figured it might be the last toy you ever ask for, and got it.  Some might wonder if you are a 5 year old boy or a 12 year old girl.  But, I know the truth.  You are a 12 year old girl who likes to have FUN, no matter what that means.  You love fast cars, so naturally, you'd love a race track.  You've always wished you could do the pinewood derby.  I'm so sorry they don't let the girls do that.  I hope the track is a good substitute.  Can't wait until you finish building it!  (I hope you'll let me play with it too.  I might like race car tracks just as much.)

Grace, I could go on for pages, but I wanted this to be a little snapshot of what you're up to right now at 12 years old.  I love you so much, and I'm so grateful to be your mom.  The last 12+ years have been quite a trip.  Thanks for taking me on your ride.  Can't wait to see where we go next!

Happy 12th Birthday Grace!

Love,
Mom
(p.s. My goal was to finish this post ON your birthday.  I finished writing at 11:59pm.  It took me 5 minutes to find/load pictures, so it didn't post until the 6th.  Sigh.  Hope your dad comes home soon.  He is so sad to have been traveling on your birthday.  You were so sweet about it and so great to not get upset.  I'm glad we'll all be together tomorrow night at the skating rink for your birthday party!)

No comments: