We've been camping and hanging out with the Covilis much longer than 9 years, but it has been 9 years since we last went with them as a family and to this exact place. In 2004, Grace was one year old and the dogs were much younger (as were we.) I was cleaning out my e-mail on the 10 hour car-ride home today and came across one from Jared just after that 2004 camping trip. We were in the thick of making plans to move away to Boston at the time. Here's one line from it: "It may sound a bit mushy, but I have been pretty depressed that the camping trip will probably be our last major event for quite a while." He was kind of right. But, as old/good friends always make things, it is always extremely easy to pick up right where we left off no matter how much time has gone by, and this summer was no exception. Since 9 years ago though, they have added 3 kids and a dog and we have added 1 kid and the original kid is now a gangly 10 year-old instead of a toddling 1 year-old. But, you wouldn't have known a thing has changed since then. Our friendship is seamless. We are so lucky.
(both of our families are still driving the Nissans we have been driving since then too... a little harder than before to cram NINE people, THREE dogs, and enough camping equipment and food for 3 days. After a couple hours of careful spatial planning and shoving, we got it all in!)
The beautiful spot on West Fork of the Blacks Fork where we like to go.
Our kids really haven't spent any appreciable time together. But, since the Covilis have awesome kids and ours love to make new fast friends, it was a pretty instant friendship. They were immediately off catching bugs, running down to the river, and playing cards by the fire.
As I mentioned, our dogs really rallied on this trip too. Now that they are elderly old fur rugs instead of young frisky pups, taking them places is not quite the same. But, one whiff of fresh mountain air and they were running around, lolling in the grass, playing in the river, and heading out on hikes. I'm not saying they had endless energy. They tired out pretty quick, but they were SO happy.
Can I have s'more of that sweetness?
This girl has the potential to be the sweetest person on the planet if she'd just let herself do it.
We have a picture of us crossing this river 9 years ago in our kitchen. Now there is a sandbar in the middle. It's not nearly as much fun as it used to be.
And, what we thought would be a 20 minute float down the river turned into an all-morning ordeal. Tara and I went back with the car twice to rescue dogs who couldn't make it and then kids and dads.
Still, I think they had fun for a while. This is so funny... after the boys gave up, the girls all got in one boat and Harriet took advantage of being the littlest one.
more fishing... they had no luck with the poles
so, they went back the next morning with the nets and caught a dozen little fish.
Catch and release, of course.
We spent glorious hours reminiscing and laughing by the fire. One night, Jared tried to start telling scary stories. Knowing Harriet (and by Harriet, I mean both of us) wouldn't be getting any sleep if the scary stories were allowed to ramp up, we switched to telling jokes. The kids told the worst jokes ever and the guys got away with some crude ones, but it was seriously fun and hilarious.
Anyone who knows me well knows how much it PAINS me to have photos of my girls holding a GUN. Yes, it was only a BB gun, but still. I am not totally anti-gun. I don't think that we should toss out the 2nd amendment or anything. I think there are certain people who need guns and certain people who don't. I can't make decisions for other people and I try really hard (but fail) not to judge other people. I can only say for sure that my family should not have a gun in the house. I think that people like police officers, FBI agents, cowboys, hunters, and people who shoot for sport might have a need for a gun, but they shouldn't keep them in their houses. I told David he can have a gun if he keeps it in a locker at a shooting range. I don't think there should be a law against having a gun at your house. I just think people should be smart enough not to keep them there. Is that too much to ask? Don't get me started on assault weapons. (commentary solely Michelle's opinion and does not represent the opinion of all owners of this blog.)
OK, I guess it's pretty cute to see "Annie get her gun."
These girls are lucky "Uncle" Jared brought a gun for them to play with!
And, we really thought it might be our last shot at a family picture with the dogs, so here's one of us on the last day, looking our grossest. But at least we were all gross together.
Reality check - everything wasn't wildflowers and sunsets. Harriet ran a fever the first afternoon and woke up the next morning with her eye completely glued shut. Luckily, I take a pharmacy with me everywhere I go and had eye medicine with me. The next day, Grace went on a morning adventure with no water and got totally dehydrated and came down with heat-exhaustion. Our kids spent a decent amount of time in tent quarantine doing some major whining. For that, we do apologize.
We're sure glad we got to do this again with the Covili clan. We hope it doesn't take 9 years to get back to this gorgeous place with them. But, since I'm still not a totally converted camper, it's ok with me if we don't do it every single year ;)






1 comment:
That looks like so much fun. Ditto on your gun comment!
Post a Comment