Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Horse is a Horse

I think I can honestly say I've never met a horse I didn't like.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to take a couple I've known out behind the barn and shoot them, but I still like them.  From the meanest, sassiest ponies, to the slowest, most unresponsive big plodding things, I seem to love them all.  What it really means is that I could almost (almost!) give up my need to ride in a certain style and just give in to any horsey experience I can get my hands on.  I really do love English riding and it's what I do best for sure.  Plus, those darn Western saddles still give me troubles (insert snickers from Cowboy Max as he watches me tack up his horses.)  But, Harriet and I have been spending some time lately at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch here in the wild wild west, and between the sweet horses and even sweeter people, we may have found another home away from home.

Back in January, I had a particularly dark moment when I started missing the horses SO much.  It had seemed like forever since I had been ON a horse and many months since I had even seen one.  That gets to be a lot for me.  I'm usually ok if I don't get to ride, as long as I can be around them in some way.    Coat it with a layer of jealousy watching David head out every Saturday morning to fill his passion for mountain biking, and I couldn't take it anymore.  I sent a desperate e-mail to Max and Michelle at Galloping Grace explaining my withdrawal symptoms from what seems to be a life-long addiction to equine contact.  I begged them to assign me any barn chore that would result in a trip to their ranch and at least pat a few necks and snuggle a few muzzles.  (Their ranch is closed all winter.)  They obliged and told me that I could come muck out paddocks and move fencing in a couple days when they would be there next.  Whew.  I felt better already, and after a couple hours work at the ranch I felt like a new woman and I gave them my papers to sign up as a volunteer.

I haven't been able to commit very much time to Galloping Grace (yet.)   They opened their riding season in May.  I knew May was going to be a killer month to find any extra time for volunteering, but I dug through the calendar and found 3 days that I could devote to the ranch.  It's a good reality check for me to realize that even if I could afford it, I could never devote enough time to my own horse at this stage of life.  And, as much as I would like to "live at the barn," that's not what the rest of my family would like - even the mini-riders.  But, I was able to help GGYR as a riding instructor for a few sessions and I'm looking forward to doing more this summer (although, our summer schedule is so PACKED with travels, I'm not going to be a ton of help there either.)  Still, any little bit helps me and I hope helps them.

I'm sure I've blogged about Galloping Grace before and what they do in their sessions.  Their philosophy of teaching kids to work, to be grateful, and to experience "pure joy" as they interact with the horses is so inspired.  They open up their website twice a month at midnight to book 2 weeks worth of sessions at a time.  If you wait until you wake up the next morning to sign up, you will find yourself out of luck.  The demand for kids who want to ride is huge.  Harriet has been extremely lucky to be able to participate in the sessions whenever I volunteer.  Why is it that you always get more than you give when it comes to things like this?  I feel like I will always be in their debt.  Having my own reasons for "needing" horses, at least it makes me extremely happy to be able to help provide riding experiences for others.

Anyway, on my last post, I asked the question... what will Harriet get up and get ready for - first thing in the morning without a fit?  Galloping Grace is the only answer I've seen this year.  She has had afternoon preschool and is rarely dressed before noon.  She hates leaving the house, she hates getting ready in the morning - even for things she likes.  The first morning we were set for a GGYR session, we had to be all ready BEFORE Grace got on the bus.  I was thinking I'd never be able to get out the door on time with Hattie in tow.  When I came out of my bedroom to start the day, she was already up, fully dressed, and ready to eat breakfast.  She may have inherited my sickness.  Here are a few pics of our May days at GGYR:


Cowboy Max explaining to the group about how much you really don't want to get kicked or stepped on...  Come on Max, that's all part of the experience!  If you haven't had a horse-shoe shaped bruise on your foot, you can't call yourself a rider!  They won't let the kids fall off either.  Bummer! (no, I totally understand that they would like to keep their insurance intact as well as the kids.)
riding Dollar:



Michelle, of GGYR, took these darling pics of Harriet one day and posted them on her blog.  Big sister was SO jealous.  Of course, GRACE thinks SHE should be the poster child for Galloping Grace!

To make things even sweeter (for me anyway), a friend of mine ended up with a trail-ride groupon she couldn't use, so I got to ride this month!!  Me- on a horse- without my kids.  Harriet couldn't wrap her head around it.  She kept asking - Mommy, YOU are going to RIDE, and I'm NOT???  How could that be possible?  I felt so guilty about it, but David kindly reminded me that he doesn't restrict his bike riding to that which he can do with the kids (no, he certainly doesn't.)  It didn't scratch all my riding itches, but it was a lovely morning along the Bosque on a little mare named Annabelle.  And, I kind of really needed the mental realignment it provided.
Thank you to all the horses in my life who have kept me from ending up in the nut-house.  Thanks to all the people who have helped me get my hands on a horse whenever possible.  Thanks to my family for putting up with me.  Thanks to David who doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to stinky laundry anymore.  His bike laundry is WAY worse than the barn clothes!

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

Whew you are long winded. I read (skimmed) over the last 3 posts and holy cow you have done a lot. Hattie's preschool is insane, the pony ranch looks awesome, and the weather there is to die for. See you Sat!