Harriet, Harr-i-et,
I don't want to write you a poem that sucks, although it was pretty funny when that poem (This Poem Sucks) from "So I Married an Axe Murderer" came on my iPod the other day and you hadn't heard it before. That was the one reason I didn't want to name you Harriet. Dad said no one would even know that movie or remember that part, but every time we run into someone who is exactly our age and we introduce you, they totally recite it and laugh. I'm glad you think it's funny. It is.
You ARE a funny kid. You are also super smart, kind, beautiful, and hard-working. You also give me a run for my money pretty much every day. I really do think you have come so far this year though. You have finally had a really awesome year at school with a fantastic teacher, and you have "found your passion" in cheer. Grandma thinks Razzle Dazzle has made you dazzle. I think so too. Even though cheerleading isn't my favorite thing, I'm so glad you have a favorite thing and that it has made you so happy. Grace has always had lots of "favorite things." I'm glad you finally found one too. (well, maybe you have a few favorite things now: cats, dolls, Geronimo and Thea Stilton books, anything that sparkles, the color turquoise, wearing your hair up and back, and super sparkly clothes from Justice!)
Your teacher sent me this e-mail last week. It's the best thing I can ever imagine getting from a teacher at school, or anyone really. Of course, book learning and grades are important too, but nothing will ever be as important as this:
"I love your daughter. She is so kind and caring and beautiful! During Fun Friday, Emmah either got mad or sad (I'm not sure which), but Harriet went over and speaking quietly to her, tried to help (of course Emmah wasn't having it). But, just watching Harriet try to help Emmah made my heart smile. Then she went over, and the interaction she had with Alex R. was also heartwarming. I think the end of the year is getting to me...I'm going to lose them and that is enough to make me teary. I really love this class...and your daughter is a big reason for that. Thanks for having such a GREAT kid!" - Mrs. Carr
I'm so proud of you for setting goals for yourself and accomplishing them. You were determined to get "4's" this year, and now most of your grades are 4's. You wanted to be able to do a good cart-wheel, so you have worked on it every single day and can finally do one. You wanted to have good friends this year, and you've found them and kept them. You've given star presentations and spoken in church and pulled it off like a pro. These are all amazing things to me, when I consider how shy, unsure of yourself, and anxiety-ridden you have been in the past.
I kind of can't believe you are 9. 8 is such a sweet year. 9 means you're getting to the tweens. I can't believe you're not my little kid anymore. You are big, you are your own person, and you know what you want from life. I hope 9 is 9 times more amazing than 8! Aunt Christine said you'd "be on cloud 9 all year." I truly hope so.
I am glad though, that even though you are separating and being your own person, you still want me around. Even though I hate to see you sick, it has been nice to be home with you this week and snuggle and hang out with you. You've gotten to be such a busy girl, I feel like I don't see you anymore.
Harriet, I'm sorry this birthday letter is over a week late. You have kept me busy! I love you and I wish you the most Happy 9th birthday and hope that your year sparkles like your Justice clothes.
Love,
Mom
1 year ago





No comments:
Post a Comment