(Harriet eating her birthday donut at school. She brought Rebel Donuts for her class.)
Dear Harriet,
You are 8 years old! Turning 8 has been a goal of yours for a very long time. You have wanted to be 8 for so long, definitely since your sister turned 8, and maybe before. You have always been so jealous of Grace and all the growing up she does before you have a chance, but when she was baptized and started to go to activity days at church, you really couldn't stand being left out of it.
You have thrown a fit every (other) Thursday night since Grace started going to activity days. This is something you WANT to do, can't WAIT to do. You watched Grace get baptized and immediately started planning your baptism. You have been planning it for 3 years! I'm confident that you have put more thought and planning into your baptism than few others ever have, adults or children.
I know you are so excited for your birthday party. I was kind of surprised. I thought you would want a girlie theme, like Frozen, or Barbie, or American Girl Dolls. I think it's pretty adorable you chose the Despicable Me minions to celebrate your 8th birthday. They are so silly and funny and cute, just like you. I hope your party goes just as you have hoped and that all your friends come and make you feel as special as you are.
This school year has been a rough one for you. I am so proud of you for how well you have handled all of the challenges and frustrations it has brought. Neither one of us were perfect in doing that, but for a little kid, you have really learned a lot and come a long way in dealing with unpleasant things. I am so proud of you for trying your best and being willing to take chances, even when you knew you might be disappointed. You want so badly to be in the gifted program (and you should be in it,) and you were willing to give up one of your favorite school events (the jog-a-thon) to go and take the test. I know that was a really hard decision, but it is amazing that you understand what is the most important thing to do in these situations.
Dear Harriet, I love you so much. I wish I could fix things for you so that you weren't so frustrated with the injustices and inconsistencies in the world. You have an amazing ability to spot them and I know how mad it makes you when you find them. You make me learn how to be a better mom every single day.
I hope that you have an awesome birthday party, filled with friends and all of the things that make you happy. I hope that your baptism is a truly magical day that brings all you have hoped and planned for.
Congratulations on turning 8 years old. I am so happy for you because I know how much you have wanted it. I hope that 8 is your best year ever.
Love Always,
Mommy


No comments:
Post a Comment