Grace's big reading project this spring was to create a cereal based on a book she read and then do a live commercial in front of the whole 4th Grade. She chose The Hobbit and was reading it right when the movie came out. She didn't want to see the movie until she finished the part of the book that the first movie covered (so cool... most kids would just go see the movie and skip the book.)
She invented a cereal called "Vanishing Rings." If you don't know The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings There is a ring in the story that causes the wearer to become invisible. She even included a toy ring that she made herself out of origami in the cereal box as a prize.
She dressed up as one of the dwarves in the story: Thorin II Oakenshield, Son of Thrain, Son of Thror, King Under the Mountain. (I'm serious.) Note the beard she created with her hair. It was SO funny. I was at school when she did her commercial, but I didn't video it. She did a great job. I always have this hard decision... make a video or actually watch it myself. Sometimes I feel like when I choose to video everything, I actually miss everything because I'm so focused on getting the camera stuff right. Sometimes I just like to enjoy watching my kids live, and not through my tiny camera screen. So, these are some pics we took at home, before and after.
Harriet's big spring school project was an animal habitat report, complete with diorama. Her current favorite animal is the dolphin. She had so much fun doing this. She LOVES to create animal habitats. In fact, when Grace has been assigned to do them in the past, Harriet will just make one on her own and be jealous that she doesn't have a school project.
Again, I didn't video Harriet's presentation either, but I was there for it. I couldn't have been prouder of how well she did. My shy little girl who barely speaks at school, got up in front of her whole class and confidently gave her dolphin information and answered questions without hesitating for a second.
Grace outgrew the 20 inch bikes in the garage this spring (really, she was on her way out of them last fall.) Since David is pretty picky about what the kids ride, we couldn't just run to Target and buy a $100 bike. We kept trying to find one we could afford quickly, but those mountain bikes just get more expensive the bigger you get. We ended up finding this Specialized Hot Rock on craigslist for not too much and David has spent the last couple months souping it up. He has actually had a lot of fun building it up for Grace and modifying all the stuff. Grace is pretty tickled, actually, to be riding a bike her dad built for her. It worked out great. We'll have to post a series of before and after pics... he's putting the final touches on it.
Had to throw these in... Harriet blowing a pink balloon at her friend's birthday party at the end of the school year. Her whole class went to the pool together.
And... one more performance? Miss Hillary had a little Irish Dance recital at her house to show off all the kids have done this spring. It was adorable, lasted only 15 minutes, did not require costumes or tickets, or rehearsals. Pinch me, am I dreaming?! The big recitals with the professional dance companies are fun, but this was a welcome change in the exhausting May routine.







1 comment:
They are too funny! I wish I could have seen them at school.
Post a Comment