With both kids in elementary school, May feels
exactly like a really really long run-on-sentence. No punctuation, no
spaces. It has replaced the Christmas holiday season as the busiest one
in our household. In just a few weeks' time we pile onto our already
busy schedule: jog-a-thon, field trips, play days (field days), book fair,
teacher appreciation week, end-of-year picnics, school projects, the spelling
bee (is it sad I wasn't sad that my kids didn't do the spelling bee?), and the
talent show! It's all incredibly fun and mostly worthwhile, but it's kind
of feast or famine. I wish we could spread it out a bit more. I
guess it really wouldn't matter, but whew... don't know if I've ever been so
glad to see the end of a school year (in a good way.) I think I might
have taken pictures of half of it.
Jog-a-thon
Harriet ran 7 laps.
Mr. Emery ran ? laps. I cannot believe he came to school on his day off to run laps with the kids.
Grace ran 8 laps.
I have to admit, I totally enjoyed the 4th graders at the museum.
This is collectively an awesome group of kids.
"Play Day" = old school field day = see if we can freeze the kids to death by soaking them to the bones and making them stand outside for 2 full hours in the chilly ABQ spring wind.
Paper Airplane Day in Math: I was
thrilled, actually, to spend 4 hours at school doing this. I think a
teacher who assigns over 100 4th graders to make a paper airplane, then has the
kids throw them down the hall 4 times each (I was there to record their flying
distances,) and then make a 2 day math lesson out of it, is like, super cool.
The kids had a total blast doing it. The vice principal walked by
just as one was thrown and smiled as it whizzed by her face. I love our
school. I might love it a little less when he is not there next year.
Speaking of cool stuff
in math class... Mr. Emery assigned Grace, and a few of the other
advanced math students, to do a giant self-guided math project/presentation.
They chose their own topics, created the requirements for their projects,
and then outlined, designed, and completed the project, mostly unaided.
Grace chose to compare some of the measurements of planets in our solar
system (volumes, distances from the sun, areas of their orbits, orbital
velocities, etc.) She worked on it for weeks at school and then spent a
long 7 hours on a Saturday finishing up calculations and putting it all into a
power point presentation. She graphed all of her data using Excel
spreadsheets and charts. She even learned scientific notation and how to
use a scientific calculator to do the calculations (something that some of my
sophomore chem students used to struggle with!) I have never seen her
work so hard on something or be more excited about doing a school project.
I was so proud of her and so glad I got to see her present to her class.
Talent Show! I am still floored that both girls made it into the show. So many kids tried out. I was so nervous for both of them, but especially for Harriet. The Friday I knew they would get their "letters" I nearly couldn't bring myself to meet them at the bus stop for fear of what their faces would look like as they stepped off. Thankfully, they both jumped down, GRINNING! It was so exciting. We had tons of rehearsal time added into already crazy weeks, but it was so worth it. They both accomplished a lot and performed so well. Harriet did an Irish Dance with her friends from dance class, and Grace played "All Apologies" by Nirvana on her electric guitar. Proud momma moment.
Talent Show! I am still floored that both girls made it into the show. So many kids tried out. I was so nervous for both of them, but especially for Harriet. The Friday I knew they would get their "letters" I nearly couldn't bring myself to meet them at the bus stop for fear of what their faces would look like as they stepped off. Thankfully, they both jumped down, GRINNING! It was so exciting. We had tons of rehearsal time added into already crazy weeks, but it was so worth it. They both accomplished a lot and performed so well. Harriet did an Irish Dance with her friends from dance class, and Grace played "All Apologies" by Nirvana on her electric guitar. Proud momma moment.
Videos! I think I figured out my video problems, but I did have to shrink their sizes so if you full-screen it the quality won't be as good. Enjoy the talent show:
Harriet
Irish Dance
(with friends Ava, Mylee, and Kayla)
Grace
All Apologies by Nirvana








1 comment:
Oh my gosh, the talent show videos are so awesome! Cute kids.
Post a Comment