Sunday, January 13, 2013

School Christmas Parties 2012

Oops, sorry, School "non-denominational pre-winter break class gatherings."  Don't get me started on how upset I got when the principal told us we couldn't read "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" or anything of the sort, in Grace's class after Harriet had been spotted bringing home a menorah, a dradle, a Diwali light project, a Kwanzaa art project, oh, and I guess she did make a Christmas tree.  But, she wasn't allowed to talk about Christmas, just the other holidays.  Were those "I've been Elfed" signs in the windows of all the classrooms?  Teachers get secret Santas?  The double standards abound.

So, with the help of another mom and Grace's teacher, we came up with 50 ways to celebrate WINTER and had probably the best class party ever!   No "C" word to be found.  You're welcome. 

We made snowflakes, origami penguins, marshmallow igloos, beaded penguin pins, and had quite a great potluck lunch.  Normally, school potlucks consist of 8 bags of chips, 12 desserts, 3 boxes of capri suns, and the token fruit on a toothpick.  Our class's families did such a great job - turkey with gravy, rolls, pizza, penguins made out of olives and cheese, pasta dishes, awesome snacks, and delicious desserts.  Grace insisted on bringing spiced warmed cider which made the whole place "smell like Christmas."  (those exact words actually came out of the principal's mouth when he walked in!  traitor!!!  no, I get it, I really do.  But, it still makes me mad.)


(pinterest will be the doom of the world, mark my words, but these olive penguins are kind of incredible.  no, I didn't make them.  This other rad mom did.)

and... I was so busy helping kids, I didn't take pictures of our crafts.  Trust me, it was awesome.

Harriet's party was pretty great for first grade (when you still have tons of super young moms and super young siblings in the mix.)  They had pizza, frosted cookies, made snowmen out of marshmallows, and gave a big class gift to their teacher.  So far, I have lucked out and the girls' parties haven't been on the same days.  I hope it stays that way.


(Harriet is always willing to help someone.)


Merry _________________!!!

No comments: