Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cool Kid, Cool Shirt

Before moving on, I should really talk about that last week at school before Christmas break.  It was a full one.  Grace's gifted class teachers decided to do a huge "Invention Convention" in science fair style.  The kids started working on their ideas last spring.  I never really knew the final goal was this big  convention idea.  Good thing Grace knew what she was doing.  She kept coming home and saying "I'm inventing a self-cooling t-shirt."  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how she was spending 4 months of school on this t-shirt.

It turns out they were studying inventors, inventions, researching their products, and getting their own ideas about ways to make their worlds better.  In Grace's world, where she is always too hot, she thinks that things would be better if she could dump cold water on her head all day.  So, she came up with this "CoolShirt" plan.  I have to admit, it was kind of rad when she had it all done and had her poster made up with her invention process and research on the subject.  She's a pretty "CoolKid."  That's for sure.
But, oh the loveliness of doing this a week before Christmas!  I guess December 18th is as good a day as any, so away to the school we went, with grandparents in tow, to see what the little darlings had invented.

Grace's shirt is simple, really, but kind of genius.  It could actually work, which is more than I can say for 90% of the other ideas that night.  (no offense... of course - way to be imaginative though!)   The interesting things that go through kids' heads...

The shirt has 2 small water reservoirs on each side that can be squeezed by hand to release mist through tubing that is laced up through the sides of the shirt.  Mind you, this would not work in humid climates, but here in ABQ, a little mist does go a long way.





Good job Gracers!  Now, who wants to give her seed money to get this started?

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

Grace is seriously cool. I love her outfit for the day too. :)