All in all though, I was pretty impressed with how well the 3 of them got along, considering the age differences, 6, 9, and 11, and the constant jealousy of Grace or Harriet of the other when Janie gave too much attention to one girl. I tried to keep them as busy as possible to cut down on the squabbles and distract Janie from missing her family and her dog. She missed her dog the most.
Week 1 - send 'em to basketball camp!
I thought this was such a brilliant idea. They would have something to do every day, but it wouldn't take the whole day, I would get a break, and it was inside so they didn't get hot and I didn't have to worry about sunscreen. Brilliant. Until Grace broke her elbow as she tripped over a girl while playing basketball. What the crap? That's a nice way to start the summer!
The girls seemed to have a great time though, and Grace was so insistent on not missing any camp, that I let her finish camp before taking her to the doctor for her arm. I was in denial that she really had broken it. Poor girl - playing basketball with a broken arm. Mother of the year. I've held the title several times, so I'm used to it.
(trying to shoot with a broken elbow)
I'm still kind of in shock that she broke her arm. We worry to death about all these other things, biking and skateboarding with helmets and pads, riding horses with helmets and ultra safety rules, but I just drop her off to run around a hard-floored gym with 50 girls and she breaks her arm.
Grace got her cast on Friday morning. I remember the stunned, sad, pained, look on her face when the doctor nonchalantly said that she'd have to wear a cast for 4 weeks. She cried pretty hard, and then, she put a smile on her face and rarely complained after that. It was pretty amazing. I am super proud of her for how well she took it.
Friday night we went camping. Sure, take the girl with the fresh, clean cast that needs to last 4 more weeks, and go sleep in the dirt!! I'm keeping my mother-of-the-year title. It was actually a good thing for her to have something to be happy about because she was very bummed about having that cast put on. We also really wanted to take Janie camping. She had never been in her whole life! (my kind of girl actually, but... then I married David and had his children)
good thing I love this car... I'll probably have to drive it til I'm 80... it still does a good job camping
not a bad way to wake up:
even better that HE cooks breakfast!
And then we went on a little hike. 1.5 miles is about all Velvet can do these days, but we really can't believe she's still as strong as she is. At 14 years old, we are very grateful for her long and full years she's had. We know they won't be much longer, so we are trying to savor them.
Let's see, what else did we do with Janie? Week 2:
We spent a couple days at Galloping Grace, playing with chickens, ducks, goats, mini horses, and riding the big horses.
Grace, riding with a cast. It's really amazing how many things you can do with a broken arm in a cast. It didn't stop her from much of anything. We found really only 4 things she couldn't do at all: play her guitar, go to karate class, go under the water in the pool, and take a shower.
Miss Janie - we love our fellow horsey cousin, riding Bones.
The girls spent TONS of time in their rooms upstairs playing dress up, having crazy little conversations, and listening to Taylor Swift. (I found a sweet little list they had made called "steps to get famous." It was seriously funny.)























1 comment:
I love the way you write, you keep me going all the way to the end.
You are so funny, make me laugh about white trash and cousin Eddie.
That IS the cutest shopper I've ever seen, such an adorable girl.
Poor Grace, Eamon got a letter and I guess she was pretty PO'd about the situation.
Eamon actually got a second letter today, nice to see a little snail mail letter buddy thing going between them. Don't actually know how much (or what) E wrote back, but nice to see him sit down right away to respond.
xoxo
Post a Comment