Sunday, June 03, 2012

Harriet graduates from kindergarten

David hates using the term "graduation" for anything but high school or college.  I guess he thinks it needs to mean the end of something, and the end of something lasting longer than a year.  But, really, graduate just means move up, or move on.  (I have a nice picture of a graduated cylinder in my mind.)  Harriet has definitely given kindergarten all she's got and is ready for 1st grade!  She is graduating her guts out.

Oh my goodness, this kid has come so far this year.  I kind of already mentioned a lot of it in her birthday letter.  But, I'm still in shock at how advanced she has become compared to how she started the year.  I'm floored with her reading.  I can't believe how she has taken off with it and now just reads books to herself for enjoyment.  I'm really so thankful for her teachers this year and for all they have done to nurture her, motivate her, and push her forward.

So, her kindergarten graduation was really an awesome day for all of us.  I think it was harder on me to see her finish kindergarten, than to start it.  I really officially have BIG KIDS now.  No one little here any longer.  We've got little people with adult teeth who can read here folks.


The kids read a poem about kindergarten.  Harriet had the 2nd R.  I wish I had videoed the whole thing, but I just grabbed the last of it with Harriet.  I can't believe she stood up and did this!  Another thing she would have never done 9 months ago...


 This picture says it all!  Look at that cute little monkey with her teacher!



The teachers hosted a big lunch for the kids after the ceremony.

Harriet brought home a perfect report card.  She had many things along the way that she had been "working on", or "in progress."  Finally, she has mastered everything for the year, including the 11 reading lists required for 1st grade.  According to teacher measurements, she has also grown 2 whole inches this year!  I kind of already knew that because she went to wear the darling dress from her first day of kindergarten the other day and it was absolutely too small and too short.  So great, but also heartbreaking that she is getting so big.

I will also miss this darling group of kids.  I helped out in their class at least once a week, with several whole days when the teacher had a sub and the EA wanted some back-up reinforcement.  I have seen how far they have come as well and also know some of the incredible struggles that some of them have with home-life, learning, and other personal things.  It is really hard to realize that some kids have to start with so little and work so hard for what comes so naturally or is given to others.  I really wonder how some of them will make it to adulthood and what kind of lives they will have.  I wish there was more you could do.  If anyone has done their absolute best for them it was the kindergarten teachers this year.  They could not have done more for this bunch, that's for sure.  Have I mentioned how much I love our school?  I really do.

Well Hattie, really, I am so proud of you and really can't believe all you have done this year.  I am so excited to see what you do next year and can't wait to watch you learn and grow some more.   Congratulations on your kindergarten graduation!!

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

What a fun school. Hattie looks so cute in that outfit with those braids!