Thursday, April 26, 2012

Harriet turns 6 today


Dear Harriet,
Wow, you are 6 years old today!  This has been quite a year for you, especially since starting kindergarten.  Every year has lots of things from beginning to end, but you have made some amazing milestones and progress this year my Hattie.

I debated about how many blog posts I should do for you this week.  There are so many things that need to be mentioned.  So much has happened even just in the last couple of weeks that show the big girl you are becoming.  But, I think I will put them all here in your birthday letter and it will just be a little longer.

I think about you going to your first day of kindergarten.  It was only 8 months ago.  You couldn't read any words (nor did you want to, nor did you want help learning.)  You couldn't count to 20 without making mistakes.  You could write your first name in capital letters, but didn't know any lowercase.  You couldn't ride your bike without training wheels (nor did you want to.)  You were scared of being anywhere without someone with you from our family.  If Grace was sick and had to stay home from school, I have to admit, I let you stay home too. (I think it happened once or twice.)  You absolutely did NOT want to sign up for an after-school club, nor did you want to take any lessons of any kind.  You had so much anxiety about getting ready for school and having everything just right so that you didn't have any worries, it was pure torture for both of us every single morning.

Now, only several months later, you have

*learned to tie your shoes, better than your sister!
*learned to read and are one of the best readers in your class.  You can read whole books to me without making mistakes.
*learned to count to 200 at least with no mistakes and are now doing it by 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's too.
*started to do addition and subtraction
*become a pro at writing your first and last name and date on every paper with appropriate capitals
*learned to write sentences and spell
*learned your phone number and address
*become ok to get on the bus with or without sister - you are totally fine
*served as a member of your school's student council all year
*joined the photography club at school
*started karate classes and happily go twice a week
*learned to RIDE YOUR BIKE without training wheels.  Now I can't keep you inside as you will ride for hours on end and beg to ride more.
*learned to ski
*finally FINALLY gotten over much of your anxiety about having things perfect and worry-free.  Sometimes it creeps back in on you, but it is no longer torture for either of us to get you ready to go out the door in the morning.
*signed up to audition for the school talent show and perform your karate form next month!
*LOST YOUR FIRST TOOTH!!!  This was probably the most excited I have seen you over just about anything.  You have been waiting for that for so long.  It was pure delight to see the look on your face when it came out and when you discovered yesterday morning, that the tooth fairy had come to your pillow!
April 24, 2012


You truly are a little creature who has come out of her shell.  I can't tell you how proud I am of all the things you are doing and the little person you have grown into this year.  You are so very smart and talented and kind.  I love that you always worry about how other people feel and try to be a good friend.  You are very generous and are nearly always willing to give up what you have for someone else to have it or to share it.  You are so beautiful too and I really appreciate that you let yourself be the princess that you are sometimes.  Other times, you can be spotted with a messy ponytail, mis-matched clothes, and covered in dirt, bruises, and scrapes.  Daddy appreciates that too.

Even though I am so sad you are getting so grown up, I am so excited for you that you are finally feeling confident in all that you do and that you are ready to take on the things that come next.  It is so fun to have you in our family.  You have so much energy and are so thoughtful too.  I can't believe, sometimes, the incredible things you think about and the connections you make.  You are a really amazing person and I'm super lucky to be your mom.  Thanks for all you do to help me in so many different ways.  I love you Harriet Marie.  I wish you a very Happy Birthday and I hope your next year is even better than your last.  I can't wait to bring your birthday treats to school later - ice cream cones with sprinkles... your favorite!

Happy 6th Birthday my cutie patootie,
Love,
Mommy
March 31, 2012

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

Happy Birthday Hattie Marie! Sean's got a lot of catching up to do to!! You are incredible!