Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Harriet's 6th Birthday Party

 
(A neighbor offered to let us borrow the horse for the party... 
David had a heart-attack and thought Aunt Jess had sent it.  
She IS responsible for several of our LARGE toys.  But, this one was just a party guest.)

So, we held Harriet's birthday party last weekend.  She thought it would be a good idea to have the party BEFORE her birthday, and not after.  She's not really into much in the way of big themes or certain characters or toys, but she does love the horses.  So, we decided that since she had never had a horsey party, this would be her year to do it.  After all, my kids were born in a barn.  Thankfully the cake was much simpler than the "Alice cake of 2011."   Instead of spending 5 days making it, I spent about 3 hours total.  She designed it and picked the colors.  I think it turned out pretty adorable.


We invited a few of her little friends from school over.  She has known Estevan since preschool, but has met most of the others in kindergarten this year and has had a fun time seeing Lucian at karate too.  They were all darling, sweet kids and brought adorable horsey presents with them.

Harriet requested that she and I dress up in fancy riding clothes.  Sure, ok.  Little did I know those boots would be so hard to get on after 2.5 years in the garage...  we also pulled all my old horse tack out of the garage for decorations.

Everyone kept asking me if we were having real horses at the party.  But, my instant reaction to that idea is that I have been around horses and horse people long enough to know that I don't want either at my birthday party.  Most professional horse people are rude and late (in 30 years, I've met 2 exceptions to the lateness, and 4 exceptions to the rudeness.)  Anyone renting their ponies out for birthday parties is going to be bringing horses they don't care a lot about, in turn - the horses are not going to be the nicest or best animals to ride, and the stack of release forms required for a kid to ride a horse these days is more than I'm willing to mess with at a 90 minute birthday party.  Too bad for the kiddos - no real pony rides.

BUT we had a grand time on the hobby horses doing some relay races with them,


minus a little sibling rivalry - let's just say big sis thought that beating a bunch of 6 year olds would be cool and rubbed it in a little too much.  check out poor birthday girl's face :(

last ditch effort to save Hattie's pride... Grace did not let up... 2 fiercer girls were never raised.


playing pin-the-tail-on-the-pony,


and making some horsey shrinky dinks.

David stands by the shrinky dink project as his new favorite thing for kids to do at our house.  The kids are occupied, quiet, and it takes a while.

Harriet requested to eat Chinese food for lunch.  Hmm... not sure how that fits the equestrian theme, but it's your day Hattie.  Go for it!   I think she's giving a thumbs up that she likes it?  face?  not sure.


Blow the candles out on that horsey cake:




 thumbs up... it's good


open some presents... I love how casual she was about it. 

This pony is the cutest toy.  I would have loved a toy like this when I was little.  It has a camera in the nose and neighs when it sees you and when you pet its back.


Finish up with a piñata and send 'em home!












All in all - it was a really nice, easy, and fun party.  Harriet had a great time and so did her friends, which is all that matters anyway.


Hannah, Grace, Mikayla, Maren, Gracie Harriet, Estevan, Lucian (nice boots dude!)

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

I love your parties. You should be a party planner. You're drawing for the pin the tail is top notch. Mr. Bill would be impressed. ;)