Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter 2011

We had a really nice and sweet Easter weekend.  Since Harriet's birthday is tomorrow (!), we had a combo Easter dinner/family birthday party on Saturday with Grandma and Grandpa.  We tried this silk-dyed Easter egg thing that my friend Sacha told me about using the silk from old silk ties.  Ours didn't turn out quite as vibrant with clear patterns as I hoped, but they are still pretty.  And, they look even cuter in the Easter basket that Grace made out of yarn.




Harriet loved every second of the start to her birthday week celebrations and blew out her first 5 year old candles.  (how many candles is she going to blow out this week?)



Sunday was kind of a weird church day.  We had traveling general authorities from the church come to Albuquerque, and so they scheduled huge stake meetings throughout the area.  The speakers were great, but they really didn't stay on Easter topics, and we didn't even sing Easter hymns.  It also meant that we didn't get to go to regular church with people we know well, the kids didn't get to go to their primary classes, and we didn't take the sacrament.  I'm not sure how I feel about that part.  It would have been impossible to do sacrament in such a huge meeting, but this is the 2nd year in a row that church circumstances have prevented taking sacrament on Easter Sunday (last year, Easter fell on General Conference weekend.)
The girls did wear new Easter dresses for church.  Grace was so surprising.  She rarely wants to be like Hattie and I thought I had probably (sadly) bought their last set of matching dresses for Christmas - thinking for sure that I had pushed the matching issue as long as I could.  So, when we went shopping for Easter dresses, Harriet found this totally darling, girly, butterfly dress that I didn't think Grace would even care about.  But she was completely bummed that it only went up to a size 6 and she and Harriet couldn't wear matching dresses.  She did find one she liked and much more her personality, but it did feel weird not having them match.

The Easter Bunny visited as well.  The girls are getting too funny.  They have now blended the idea of leaving cookies for Santa into Easter and left sugar cookies for the Easter bunny.  Instead of stuffed animal bunnies in the baskets (whew!), he left kites and whirlygigs for the yard!  Yay, at least we can do something in this ABQ wind!


We finished off the weekend with friends.  The Wixoms invited us over for Easter dinner, along with the Howards and a few others.  We are so lucky to know so many extremely awesome people.  (Love this shot of Keisha starting off the egg hunt!)






Happy Easter to all.  

1 comment:

Amy said...

That looks like so much fun. We had an Easter Egg hunt but ours was inside due to the rain.