Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm a soccer mom

I don't have a minivan (and I'm not going to say "yet" either), but I am officially a mom with a kid in soccer every Saturday.

Grace started munchkin soccer today. It was a perfect, beautiful day. We were actually supposed to start last week, but got rained out. She's not on a "team", but there are about 40-50 kids from town (ages 5-7) who come together and learn how to play soccer. They have a group of professional soccer players who come and help the "dad coaches."
(Grace is the one raising her hand - she always is first to raise her hand.)
The kids start with a group warm up and run around the field playing tag. Then, they separate into 7 teams in different parts of the really big field and have little skills games and scrimages. It's 1 hour 15 minutes total. I think that's a long time, but the kids didn't seem to tire and they certainly didn't run out of things to do.

I was amazed at the quality of coaching - both from the pro's and from the dads. They really taught them a lot and today was only the first day of 8 weeks. They get the whole soccer program and a real soccer ball and a soccer shirt for $50. This is the bargain of my year!
Anyway, I was really impressed and Grace had a terrific time. Harriet was even a good girl on the sidelines - running up and down and playing with an extra soccer ball. Too bad daddy missed it, but he will be taking her plenty of times without me when I work pony club. So he will be a soccer daddy too. He would probably volunteer to help coach if he didn't have to take Hattie along.

2 comments:

Tara said...

We will be joining you in the soccer mom world next week. We signed up Kennedy (I know, she's too young) and I hope she will enjoy it.

I think it's great you have people out there teaching them a few things about soccer. I'm helping my neighbor coach, so I know they won't learn much from us!

Chrispy Critter said...

She looks so big!