For those of you living vicariously through our exciting life stories (wink wink), you can take a deep breath and relax, because we're home from vacation. Whomever says that vacation is relaxing doesn't travel with kids. Not only were their schedules entirely interrupted and their familiar surroundings taken away, we went at least 2 or 3 places a day for the (almost) month we were gone. Our kids were so fried from traveling that Grace was asking to go home to Boston during our last week in Utah.
Needless to say that we didn't blog the last half of our trip because we were so busy and tired and we haven't blogged since we got home because we have been so busy and tired! It took me 10 days to get back into a routine where I actually have clean clothes, fresh towels in the bathroom and I can see my kitchen counters and I'm making 3 meals a day at the right time. It took about a week to put everything away that we brought home (including doing all of that laundry and putting it away.) I think David still has a pile of stuff in our bedroom that hasn't been put away. 
Hattie sure grew a lot on our trip. While we were gone, she learned how to roll over completely (well she made the last step of getting her arm out the morning we got home), she started laughing out loud, she gained several pounds and at least an inch, I think, and she started playing with toys.

Grace had a great time in Utah because there was someone to play with her and tend to her every need 24/7. It's been a bit of an adjustment to be back at home with her busy mom and fussy sister where she has to entertain herself a lot. I had a whole bunch of work to do for the barn when we got home too, so she really had to get self-sufficient again.

I'm just so very grateful for modern conveniences. The plane trip was pretty quick, considering we made it to Utah in under 5 hours (not counting those pesky airport hours) to see our family. The poor pioneers took months to make that journey to never return to their families. We also have cell phones with pretty much unlimited long distance calling, the internet with instant photos, and now David's new computer with the web-cam makes it even easier to see people who live 2500 miles away.
Even real mail makes it back and forth in 2 days. It's a huge blessing for me. Let's just say that had I lived in the 1800's, I wouldn't have even made it here from Europe, let alone have trekked across the U.S.

So, now my projects for fall will be:
-finish Harriet's Christmas stocking (we'll see how that goes since it was supposed to be Grace's after she was born, but her Grandma rescued me and made her one in the mean-time!)
-keep up on my desk-job for the barn (it's actually addicting since I LOVE e-mail and it's heavy on the e-mail)
-teach a few riding lessons each week
-catch up on some photo albums and scrapbooks (yeah right - this is always on my list and never gets done...)
-David would love it if I'd spend a few hours in the yard undoing our jungle
-finish the book I started a month ago - half way there!
-Christmas Shopping!!!
When I'm done with all that, it will be time to make another trip to Utah. See y'all in January. (Of course, that y'all is meant for the folks out west...)

Here are some random photos taken in the last month from our trip and just after returning home. The one above is a shot from my car wind-shield looking East towards Mount Olympus - remember how I said I almost wrecked my car multiple times while trying to take in the sky while driving? - this is why! Enjoy :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment