Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A month in Utah: weekend 1 - LAGOON with GRANDPA!

My dad has been wanting to take all of the grandkids to Disneyland.  That's probably one of the best memories that we all have from growing up - when we went to Disneyland when we were little.  But, with all the different ages and interests among the cousins, it would be a really hard trip to make, not to mention, insanely expensive for all of us to go.  So, when he found out we were coming for the summer, he got really excited about taking all the grandkids to LAGOON!

My kids had been to Lagoon once before, so they knew how much fun it was going to be.  Lagoon is so much nicer than it was 20 years ago.  You can actually have a pretty grand time there.  Poor Grandpa though, he had no idea what he was in for with my girls.  They like to bring the park down on the biggest rides and close up when the last employee is sweeping the walk.  Melissa's family prefer to keep it a little more calm and collected.  I know we wore her out completely.  Mom came too and helped us herd everyone and even had a little fun herself.  I felt like a kid, being able to go to Lagoon with both of my parents and have that much fun.  We laughed harder than I have laughed in a long time.

Much to Melissa's chagrin, we got there early, when it was still hot.  But, that's perfect for the water rides, right?  We started off with the log flume, which was a long line for a little splash.  Mo-Deb, who never gets on rides, even went on it!  
But then, we upped the ante on the river run.  Holy smokes.  I cannot think about that ride without smiling - we got all 9 of us in one boat - Melissa and Randy and their kids, my girls and me, and Mom and Dad.  There is nothing funnier than seeing your mom and dad in their 60's getting soaked on a water ride and trying to get each other wet.  We laughed and squealed and got blissfully soaking wet in the hot sun.  Mom, who is always worried about what her hair looks like, got completely dumped on with water.  It really was the best.  I'm so glad we all went on that ride!  Grace and Hattie, of course, went again.  It would be hours before our underwear finally dried out.
could not be wetter!

We did a few of the other rides together, like the train, the swings,  and some of the smaller things like bumper cars:
train ride
Little bumper cars:  Grace was too tall for these and said it was cool if the little kids went without her. Then, she totally surprised us by bursting into tears that she didn't get to go, so we walked to the other end of the park and did the big ones, which Kate was too small for, but we sneaked her in.

Somewhere in the middle, we split up so that Melissa's kids could keep it simple on the little rides and the girls could go on the BIG ones.  Grace loves herself a roller coaster.  She'd had "Wicked" on her mind for weeks.  She convinced Grandpa to go with her, and Harriet and me too.  Wicked is just insane.  There is no other way to describe it.  You could truly die on that thing just by opening your eyes.  I'm pretty sure my dad wasn't in the best health to ride something like that, but he did it anyway.  He looked pretty white when we were done, but wouldn't let the girls know that he didn't have the time of his life, so he totally convinced them that it was the best ever.  Harriet loved it.  Grace could have ridden it all day.   
The Wicked line was super long though for a second run, so, we tried for Colossus next.  Now, Colossus was built in like the 80's, before the laws of physics were perfected in roller coasters.  It looks less crazy than Wicked, but it's sharp turns and jerky G-forces will pretty much do you in.  Grandpa enthusiastically got in the front car with Grace.  I thought he was such a good sport to make her think that there was nothing else he'd rather do.  When we got off - I really thought I might have to call 911 for him.  Poor guy!  But, he let the girls think that he had the time of his life.  Harriet hated Colossus and cried for a while after we got off.  So, that was enough of the crazy coasters.
(If it looks like Grandpa is about ready to pass out, that's because he is.)
So, the last time we were at Lagoon, Harriet had seen this giant Hello Kitty and tried to win it playing darts.  She was inconsolable when she found out that the games are pretty rigged and she was never getting that big prize.  So, when the kids asked to play games again, I was kind of reluctant.  But, they headed to the skee-ball booth and I couldn't resist.  I LOVE skee-ball and I'm usually pretty good too!  I totally nailed the first game and won a cute little rainbow dog for Hattie.  Awesome! But, crap - there were 3 other kids standing there needing a prize.  My second and third games were terrible and I couldn't come up with more prizes.  
In comes Grandpa, like a hero, and heads to the milk bottles.  (Why don't I have a picture of this?!) He starts throwing baseballs at them like he's a little league pitcher.  He totally knocked them over in a couple of throws and won a prize!  I couldn't believe it.  Those things are next to impossible to tip over.  He wouldn't give up and kept trying for a 3rd.  This time though, it was much harder to get them down.  The guys in the booth were kind and gave him lots of chances to get it and he finally won the 3rd prize.  He would have gone for the 4th, but Kate hated the prizes in that booth, so thankfully, we could move on.  Kate won her prize at the ducky pond and we were set!  I couldn't believe we had 4 prizes in hand.

It might not have been Disneyland, but I think we had more fun in an afternoon at Lagoon than we would have had in 3 days at Disney together.  Thanks, Grandpa, for the most awesome fun day.  We all loved it!  And you.

No comments: