Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dear Grace, #11

I have been feeling really bad that I didn't write a birthday letter to Grace this year.  Before Harriet's birthday hits us this weekend, I just want to write a short note to my Gracers.


Dear Grace,
I'm sorry that this letter is over a month late.  You know your mom lately, I'm not as on top of things as I used to be.  Part of that is YOUR fault, my dear.  You've got us doing quite a lot lately and I'm just not as fast as I used to be.

I do want to tell you, for the more-than-a-millionth time, how awesome I think you are.  You are an amazing girl.  It's hard to watch you get so grown up.  I can't believe you're going to middle school in the fall.  I am quite sure, it was yesterday, that I dropped you at kindergarten.

I sometimes can't believe you're my kid and don't know what I did to deserve to raise you.  I sat in church on Sunday, watching you accompany the senior primary on your guitar, as you all performed Gethsemane for Easter.  You had no fear.  You went up, mic'd up your guitar, and played your heart out.  I couldn't see you very well because your music stand, filled with pages, was blocking my view, but I could see your little blond head above it grooving to the rhythm and I knew you were in your zone.  I heard your guitar over the sound system above me and you were incredible.

I love that you love your instrument so much.  You came home from school yesterday with your talent show form all filled out and shoved it into my face... "Mom!  Sign it!"  Gladly, of course.  Then, you dropped your backpack in the middle of the floor, picked up your electric guitar, and started practicing for it.   Your dedication is far beyond your years.

I think about the math project you just finished.  The assignment was to "create a board game with questions that summarize the math skills you have learned this year in 5th grade."  Board game, schmoard game - that wasn't going to be good enough for you.  Nope, instead I watched you spend hours upon hours in front of the computer as you PROGRAMMED your own math video game.  You know when teachers wonder if the parents did all the work because it was so good?  Well, your project was even better than that - I have no idea how you even did it, let alone could I have helped you with it or done it for you.

I have written before, about what a great friend you are, but I continue to see you set the example.  As we shopped for books for ourselves at the school book fair, you remembered a painfully shy friend of yours, whose birthday it was that week, but was not having a party, nor has many friends.  You remembered a book he said he hadn't read, but really wanted to, and marched up and bought it for him.  

I know it's hard to do sometimes, but you are such a good sister to Harriet and she loves you beyond measure and looks up to you for everything.  Thanks for setting such a good example for her.

Sure, your room is a swamp, your hair a mop, and your clothes, baggy, and sloppy.  But, you really make up for it with your dedication to things that are truly important.  Although, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you tried neatness, once in a while ;)

I love you Grace.  I hope your year of 11 is as awesome as you want it to be.  I know you've looked forward to it.  I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Love,
Mom


No comments: