Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February Kid Brag

Grace:  current mantra is "Everything is Awesome!"  from the LEGO movie commercial.  In the past couple of months she has:

*been student of the month

*been asked to accompany the senior primary chorus on Easter Sunday by playing her guitar to a really great song that they are learning.  It's going to be hard to swallow that I won't be able to record it as it will be in the chapel.  The song is incredibly beautiful.  Our chorister played this video for the kids a couple of weeks ago to introduce it.  I have never seen 60 wild and crazy kids during the last hour of church get so quiet so fast.  She played it twice and by the second time around, the kids were already singing along with it in the most angelic, sweet, voices.  It was beyond magical.  Come to church with us on Easter and bring some kleenex!

*achieved her BLUE SASH status in karate, which also means she earned her first weapon.  It's a "stick."  The stick is a round oak dowel, about the length of her leg.  David made it for her, sanded it and stained it.  It is really pretty.   Now I like to chase her around saying the line from Brave: "A princess does not place her weapons on the table" in my best Scottish accent.
*had her MIDDLE SCHOOL IEP meeting, meaning that this kid is registering for middle school, has less than 4 months left in elementary school, will be ATTENDING MIDDLE SCHOOL next year... did I mention she is growing up too fast for her britches?  (literally - her pants are always floods, no matter how often I buy the next size.)

*saved a seat in the back of the bus for her sister - maybe the most generous thing she has ever done. If you knew how important the back of the bus was to Grace and NOT having her sister sit back there, well... it's a lot.  They may have gotten into a giant fight on the way home, sitting together.  How easily the little sweetnesses of life can so quickly turn ugly... oh well, it was the original thought that counted for me.

Harriet:  cannot be defined by a mantra, although, she could probably use one.  In the past couple of months she has:

*been student of the month

*started orthodontic treatment for her ca-razy teeth!  She currently has a "crozat" appliance in the bottom teeth and will go in for another one for her top teeth in a few weeks.  The first week of having that thing was a nightmare.  I almost considered canceling the whole plan.  But, she is now used to it and can eat normally and hardly notices that it is there.  Let's hope the same will go for the top and the adjustment period will be shorter.
(sticky candy party, the night before... she is so sad to put these aside for 18 months)

*stayed in ski school for a whole session without sitting in the lodge or calling me in.  That was huge for her and she got a lot better at skiing because of it.  Can't wait to get back on the mountain... if everyone would be well for a weekend!  (I don't think I exaggerate when I say that someone or multiple people in our family have been sick every single week since the first day of school.  This year has been brutal.)

*started planning her baptism.  Taking my youngest child to the baptism preview was nearly akin to going to my oldest's middle school IEP meeting.  How do the years fly by so fast when the days feel so long and hard to get through sometimes?  I wonder if Einstein's theory of relativity covers that?
Actually, Harriet has been planning her baptism since Grace's baptism 3 years ago.  I have never seen a kid so excited to be baptized.  She bought her dress last summer (fingers crossed that it fits in May.) She also wants to be baptized in a dress, so here's hoping I can come through with sewing one that will be as beautiful and functional as she would like it to be.

AAAAAAND, we got a snow day!  
Snow days in ABQ mean: "It actually snowed.  once.  today.  there's something wet on the sidewalk, so you can come to school 2 hours late.  Don't worry about bringing a coat though because there is some moisture on the playground and we won't be going out for recess this week, and it's warm enough at the 2 hour late bus stop anyway."  

Snow days in Boston meant "It's been snowing for months, but finally, there is so much or it is just so slick out, that we just can't get the buses to your house and back to the school in less than 3 hours time.  For some reason, the founding fathers landed in New England 400 years ago, but no one has figured out that it snows here EVERY WINTER and we might want to invest in a plow and some salt.  Oh, and there is no power, no running water, and we might open school next week, if you're lucky.  Have fun making up all your missed school next July!  Bring your snow pants and snow boots when you come back to school because you will totally be going out to recess in this."

Snow days in Utah meant "It's snowing, just like always... get your butt out of bed or you'll be marked tardy at the 7:30am bell!  (of course you have your snow boots and pants because, who DOESN'T?!")  I still think in amazement, how I really did use to mark my high school kids tardy at the bell when it was a blizzard outside.  I totally did though.  I got myself up at 6am and crawled to school at 3mph on the freeway - no excuses, right? 

Well, anyway, for our 2 hour snow delay, we did, FINALLY, play IN THE SNOW!!!!  At our own house!!!
Shadow was happy. She has been wanting a snow play-date all winter.

1 comment:

Barnhisel Blog said...

Your girls are awesome. Can't wait to see what you whip up for a baptism dress!