Friday, January 17, 2014

Christmas 2013

Our tradition since moving away from Salt Lake 9 years ago has been to have a friend-centered Christmas Eve.  We've spent nearly our last decade of Christmas Eves with some of the most amazing friends of our lives.  This year, we decided to spend a quiet Christmas Eve at home, with just ourselves.  At first I was kind of sad about that (not inviting friends over), but it ended up being the best thing ever, especially considering we weren't feeling well at all.  David was the worst who had come down with the cold/flu thing that Harriet and I had had the week before, and I was absolutely sick to my stomach.  I could barely eat anything.  It was so hard to make all that delicious food and not eat it.  I was so grateful to not be hosting a party or going to one.   Plus, it was so nice to just be able to enjoy the kids.  Sometimes when you do parties, you have to be so involved with entertaining or with adult conversation that you can't really spend time with your own kids.

We set a super fancy table, just for us.  I cooked the girls' requests for dinner:  salmon and mashed potatoes and rice pilaf for Harriet, clam chowder for Grace.  I made a Buche de Noel - only Harriet and Grace were able to eat any of it.  Then, we face-timed with my family who were all together at Melissa's house and opened all our gifts together over the internet.  We went to bed early.  Santa came.  SANTA CAME! We slept fairly late, and had a relaxed morning.  (You would have NEVER known that the conversation of less than 48 hours ago had ever happened.)
 Opening stockings was great.  Santa brought Grace a 2 pound York Peppermint Patty and Harriet a 2 pound Reese's!
While I was at the store that one day, the kids made stockings for Shadow and Kit Cat.  Santa magically filled them too.  Shadow got doggie wash and Kit Cat, a toy bird, that she promptly hunted and killed like the good little hunter she is.  
I was super worried about how Grace would handle Christmas without Velvet.  It was always a special time for them together.  Thankfully, she has bonded with Shadow (just not in the same way), and Harriet was occupied with Kit Cat so she didn't spend the time she usually does with Shadow on Christmas morning.  I think Kit Cat might have actually saved my Christmas morning.  I was dreading that hole in the living room where Velvet should have been - she always watched Grace open her presents and seemed to enjoy it as much as the people did.  We still missed her, but the kids were happy and the animal love, sufficient.  Thanks for stepping up, Shadow and Kitty.

The kids declared it "best Christmas ever," just like they do every year.  I'm so glad that they are always excited about every single gift, that they always think they got way more than they asked for, and that they never cease to be amazed by what is under the tree, no matter what it is.  That is what makes it all worthwhile - seeing that much joy and surprise on your kids' faces.
Harriet's "BIG" requests this year were the "Saige" dress that matches her American Girl doll (she was SO excited!), and the LEGO Friends Dolphin Cruiser.  She set up a table in the living room and had that thing put together in one day.  It is really super cool.  
Grace's requests were all a long list of Star Wars stuff, including a very awesome Darth Maul lightsaber as well as the Darth Maul costume.  Among other things... "Padawan Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn LEGO guys" (because those are still made... no worries - Santa can do anything!)
 Grace was surprised that Santa brought her a fedora hat and a flannel shirt.  Who knew she would turn into an instant hipster.  She would wear them 24/7 if she could.  At least she looks the part when she's playing a Pearl Jam song on her guitar.
The girls giving their gifts to puppy and kitty... so sweet. 
LEGO build!  What else?
Harriet was surprised with some new Ken dolls and a Hello Kitty watch that helps her learn to tell time on a clock.  
She wore the Saige dress to church the next Sunday, so I had to throw the picture in.  ADORABLE.
Nothing better than fighting with your Sith Lord Daughter, right?

David's parents and Christine came over later for brunch and to do a few more family gifts.
I don't know why, but I like taking pictures of tables I've set.  I like collecting cool things to use in the settings and I like making them different.  This year, I added a set of  Nutcracker napkin rings to my collection.  Anyway, this was the brunch table.    
Grandpa was especially excited to get a word search book from Harriet ;)

After they left, we hung out, watched a bunch of movies, and the kids were able to play with their new toys.  That's always what I really wish for Christmas Day, is enough time for the kids to play with their new toys.  I love it when they can just stay in jammies all day and play and eat and play and watch a movie and play some more.

We took much fewer pictures than normal.  No video at all.  I'm really feeling sad I didn't take any video.  I usually catch the kids waking up or coming down the stairs or opening their favorite gift.  Well, you can't always be perfect I guess.

We did have a really nice Christmas and are so grateful to everyone for everything that they sent or brought to us.  Sometimes, you think that it's not important to do so much or try to remember so many people, but on the other end, it makes you feel so loved to know that someone did remember you and went to some kind of effort - even if it was just to write your address on an envelope and put a stamp on it.  So, thanks everyone.  

No comments: