Sunday, November 17, 2013

"I want to ride my bicycle...

I want to ride my bike."  Well, maybe that is an overstatement for myself, but I do love the White Sands bike ride with the family.  We decided we had to go back to get the full moon experience since it was rainy and cloudy the first time we tried it.  Our bike friends, the Meredith family, came with us too.  It ended up being a very last minute trip after planning it all year.  The government had been shut down for weeks and we didn't think they would open the park in time for the ride.  The ride was scheduled for October 18th.  The government opened October 16th.  The park opened the 17th.  Not only that, David had been hit just the week before and hadn't ridden since.  With no concrete plans to do it, we hadn't been taking the girls out on training rides either.  But, I felt like it was a great chance to get back on bikes as a family and do something happy after having such a big scare and so much sad and crazy in the immediate past.  So, we threw together some quick plans, packed a fast bag, attached the bikes to the car, and hustled down to White Sands before school got out on Friday.
We got there with just enough time to eat dinner and put some glow sticks and lights on the bikes.
Grace was overjoyed to get to ride with her BFF, Dallin.
I thought it was pretty cool to get to ride with this crew.  These guys are the serious riders.  I would never be allowed on a ride with them if we weren't accompanied by 5 kids under the age of 12.  Muffin keeps up with the boys on the mountain too.  They are way out of my league, and I'm ok with that.  
Getting ready to go... some guy was playing the Queen song "I want to ride my bicycle..." full blast.  Super fun.
 Harriet had fun with little Maddie.  She is a couple years younger, but they finally clicked on this trip and had a blast.
Our little geeks.
 Sister picture.  They have this pose down solid.
 End of ride.  These kids were amazing!  The loop through White Sands is 16 miles.  Last year, we did about 11 of those miles - had to turn around just after getting into the big part of the dunes.  Harriet rode on a trailer bike and Grace had to take rests.  This year, every single one of these little kids rode the whole 16 miles.  We couldn't see any other kids their ages who did it.  I was especially impressed with the Meredith's little kids who are only in kindergarten!  That is a lot of pedaling.  

It was an amazing ride.  The sand was so beautiful in the full moonlight.  Having friends along made it tons of fun.  We did get cold.  Grace refused full-fingered gloves and seriously regretted it.  But, other than a few cold fingers and some saddle-sore butts, it was perfect!  

The next day, we swam at the hotel and then went back to the dunes for some sledding.  Again, so fun to have friends along.  I highly recommend traveling with friends.  We've done it several times and haven't regretted it yet.  
 waxin' up
 Maddie and Hattie
 Dallin and Grace
 Dallin and Grace hiked over to a far-off dune to explore.  They ended up finding the best sledding hill, so eventually we all hiked over there too.
Sister pic.
Our trusty Pathfinder. 

No comments: