lots of dress-up
swimming is a must
anything involving animals is on everyone's list
We were there when the new batch of baby snow leopards came out! We were there for the last batch too a few years ago. I think this is my favorite animal at the zoo. It was definitely a great time for zoo babies - the rhinos, orangutans, giraffes, and snow leopards have all reproduced this year!
splash fights
(Janie decided swimming in a baby pool in the back yard was maybe not as cool as it used to be.)
more animals at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch...
Now that they don't have riding anymore, the bunnies are the favorite attraction.
but, you can still play with mini-horses!
We have a new name for our house. It has been called Chapman Casa or Chapman Bed and Breakfast in the past. But, now it's Chappo's Bed, Breakfast, and Bike. Who knew we had enough bikes and helmets in the garage for ALL of us to go on a bike ride every night?! (and there were still bikes leftover...) David Chapman, you might have a problem we need to talk about...
We rode to the park every night.
This was such a great end to the day and helped us avoid a lot of evening discontent that comes with a mix of over-tired kids who have eaten too much sugar all day.
I'm not really trying to pose and take up the whole front of the picture - I was trying to balance the trailer bike with Kate on the back. I think we got everyone in!
Sadly, the Barnhisels couldn't stay the whole week. But Janie stayed a few extra days and we took the chance to drag her out to the wolf sanctuary. These animal-loving kids... they will do anything for a chance at spending some time with something furry. We spent the 5 hours in the car singing Taylor Swift at the top of our lungs (no, David didn't come with us.) We might have a sickness.
I think my favorite part of the desert is when the cacti are in bloom.
The sanctuary has lots of other canines besides wolves. They just put in a dingo enclosure.
Yep, it was a howling hot day.
It really was a dreadfully hot day. Not quite as hot as the day before (that was the day the car thermometer read 130.) But, I underestimated how hot and dry it would be out where the sanctuary is in Ramah. I thought it might be a little cooler than ABQ, but I was wrong. The kids were wilting for sure. I debated about doing any of the sights on the way home - there are 2 national monuments and a few other things. I decided that Janie really should see El Morro as long as we were all the way out there. Who knows if she'll ever be back that way. So, we stopped, refilled our water bottles, and started the little hike out around the big bluff. We barely made it out to the bluff before deciding it was too hot and not worth it to keep going. We did at least see the never-dry pool of water (filled only with rainwater during the monsoon season and lasts all year) and then saw a few of the carvings and called it a day.
On Janie's last day here, the girls spent the entire day writing and practicing a birthday song for Grandma's birthday party that night. I love how creative these kids get when they are together. They are always writing a play or dressing up or doing art projects. Janie really brings out the performer side of everyone. She is quite talented. If you want to see the video, it's posted on my facebook page.
All I know is that was quite the week of cousins. We're so glad they all came to spend some summer-time with us. Can't wait to see more of them soon!
















1 comment:
I love your pictures! I'm going to have to copy this to my blog.
Post a Comment