Hmm... I'm most often glad I don't live in the Boston area anymore. (Insert all the reasons I ripped up our mostly content little family and made them move to ABQ 3 years ago.) But, why would today be any different? Did they just get a whopper of a storm? I didn't think so, because I saw some bits and pieces about marathon prep and a few facebook posts from friends that morning, and it didn't sound like they were bracing for bad weather. I knew something terrible must have happened, but didn't have time to check on it until I got home.
I took the girls home from school with me at the end of the day, and as we walked in the door, I grabbed the remote and turned on our TV. Sure enough, just as I dreaded, video footage of mayhem at the finish line of the Boston Marathon was being replayed over and over. Some evil idiot had planted bombs and killed people cheering the end of the race and catastrophically injured the legs of runners - marathon runners who have spent their lives and legs training for THIS race. Who does that?! I was almost physically ill and felt much like I did on Sept. 11th. Normally, I don't let my kids watch live TV, especially the news or coverage of upsetting events. But, Boston used to be their home, and I felt like they needed to know what happened. They were pretty mature about it and agreed that this was just terrible and couldn't fathom why someone would do such a thing.
I think the thing that upsets me the most, personally, is that even for someone who did not relish living in New England, Patriot's Day is at least ONE day you are so glad you live there. The day of the Boston Marathon is just a really really great day to live anywhere near Boston. The historical towns re-enact famous revolutionary war battles, the other towns who had contributed to the minute man militia march their minute men down the town main streets in big, fun, classic, small-town parades, no one goes to work that day and school kids are off for the entire week. It is a really incredible time of celebration and patriotism and brotherly love. Everyone loves the place where they live, everyone loves the people in their town, and no one can get enough history. It is a time to reflect upon all of the events that took place there, which enabled our country to become free, and think about the incredible sacrifices made in advance in our behalf. It is also, kind of, the first time you can really go outside after surviving another brutal New England winter - when you might even get to enjoy a tiny bit of spring before the humidity, rain, and bugs set in. I do miss living in New England on Patriot's Day and each year when it comes around, I think of what I am missing and how sad it is that most of the rest of the country don't even realize they are missing it.
Bombing Boston on Patriot's Day is equivalent to bombing New York City on New Year's Eve, Salt Lake City on Pioneer Day, or Albuquerque during the Balloon Fiesta. It is THEIR day to love their home and their history and their people, and to share it in a big way with the rest of the world. I am beyond mad and insulted that someone ruined this day for them, let alone, the poor people whose entire lives, are now ruined as well.
Boston, I am so sorry. Even though I am a deserter and didn't have what it takes to enjoy perpetual living in New England, Patriot's Day is one day a year when, actually, I do wish I lived in Boston. Maybe I'm a little bit glad I wasn't sitting at the finish line of the marathon yesterday, but I know that today, there are some incredible people rendering unspeakable service and kindness to those affected, and I regret I can't be among them.
I was thinking about the last time we were in the area. We took our kids back a couple of years ago, after moving away. We visited so many of the historical places, including the Old North Bridge in Concord, just minutes away from our old house. Whenever Patriot's Day comes around again, I will try to think about this image of my kids in their Boston Red Sox t-shirts, standing on the Old North Bridge, rather than the videos I saw yesterday. I hope everyone else will be able to do something of the same nature.
Sincerely,
a Western girl who has a tiny seed of New England stuck permanently in her soul.

1 comment:
Thanks for your post Michelle. I had found at about the bombings when I had a quick little break at work but at the time I don't think any one really knew much what was going on.
Post a Comment